It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:03 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:10 pm 
Random avatar

According to Geograph, it looks like Iridiums have been installed on Manston Court Road, which is little more than a country lane due to the new Cross Quays housing development, in Westwood near Broadstairs, Kent. I'm unsure of the exact location and span of the development as the Streetview is too old and the development has changed the landscape beyond recognition, but this is another example of an unlit road becoming a lit road. I'm unsure if some of the Phosco P678s on the roundabout nearby have been replaced as a result of the development, but if they have, it's extremely wasteful, as they were only installed when the Westwood Cross Shopping Centre first opened in 2005.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:44 am 
Random avatar
Byefield Grove, and this Jet/Opalo was installed in 2006, owing to complaints that there was not enough lighting from this Swan Neck to the SRL8 at the road end.

Here there was a long project to install a mini roundabout in January 2012, and about 5 iridiums have been added.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:37 pm 
Random avatar

From going past on the Central line yesterday, it looks like this previously gated off road, which acted as a car park for emergency vehicles during the Olympics, has now been lit with Furyo installations identical to this.

UPDATE: Only a month after they were installed, the Furyos were swapped for Axias. What a waste!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:43 pm 
Random avatar

A previously unlit car park near me in the London Borough of Redbridge has now been lit with these ugly lanterns which, judging by their design, look like LED lanterns. Any suggestions for the make and model of the lantern would be greatly welcomed in the "Unidentified lanterns" thread, where I have also posted this.

I've also just realised I've overlooked the A299 Thanet Way at Kent International Airport near Ramsgate in Kent as another case of unlit becoming lit, where a new roundabout has been constructed and Iridiums installed.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:58 am 

sotonsteve wrote:
Phosco152 wrote:
The A27 at Farlington in Hampshire lost its lighting more than 5 years ago. Columns had been failing structurally for several years before (most) of them were removed.

It is more interesting than that. When the road opened between 1968 and 1970 it was unlit. Lighting was installed when the road was widened in the late 1970s to early 1980s, then removed in the mid 2000s. The current situation with lighting is therefore similar to the period 1976-1979, with lighting to both sides of a two mile section of unlit road.

At some point in the future, when funding is available, this section of road will have its central reservation renewed, with new drainage and crash barriers. I believe lighting will be reinstated when this takes place, meaning that the road will have gone from unlit to lit to unlit to lit. I believe this was close to happening a few years ago, but that funding dried up.

Profile  Personal album