It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:41 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:00 am 

Alex wrote:
The Christmas lights outside Southgate Underground station should look like this, but on Christmas Eve I noticed that the strong winds had brought them down.

In Rastrick, the 'string of lightbulbs chucked in a tree' are almost ready to fall out, in 2010 the strand of blue fell down so I re-attatched it to a branch, they haven't fallen down since but one of the Amey workers did say to me they wondered why it looked a little different.

Clifton, well the tree has gone lop sided again.

Attachments:
File comment: The string of lightbulbs chuck in a tree.
129.JPG
129.JPG [ 3.99 MiB | Viewed 8445 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:23 pm 

It seems that ZX3s have a tendency to detach their canopies in high winds :lol: . Here's a classic example.
clicketh

╩   ╩└─┘┴  ┴ └─┘┴ ┴  ┴
        ╔═╗ ┌─┐┌┬┐      
        ║      ├─┤  │       
        ╚═╝┴  ┴  ┴

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:56 pm 
Random avatar

This Streetfighter had turned on its bracket and was dangling precariously from the column today, when I walked underneath it and was frightened it might fall on my head with just one gust of wind!  :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:49 am 

Rojojnr wrote:
This Streetfighter had turned on its bracket and was dangling precariously from the column today, when I walked underneath it and was frightened it might fall on my head with just one gust of wind!  :lol:

I thought it was just Trafficvisions that held that title of turning on its bracket?

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:15 am 
Random avatar

I have also found that the A2000 and MRL6 are also quite common bracket turners, I have yet to see an Alpha8 or SGS203 turn.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:41 am 

Any lantern can turn on the bracket. It depends how tightly they are done up. Modern lanterns tend to turn more, because street lighting crews are not as thorough nowadays.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:22 pm 
Site Administration

This Beta 5 at Dilton Marsh in Wilts, is even more entangled in the tree than the GSV image of 2009 shows. As a result, it has lost its bowl and the gear tray now hangs vertically from the canopy. However, it was still lit this morning, so the lamp is intact, and it had even switched off this afternoon!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:32 pm 

I have seen many new LED lanterns on the slip roads, along the A27 (Portsmouth) twisted on their brackets because of high winds. One of the last GEC Z9554Ms in this area has now sadly lost its bowl but not its lamp. Considering its living on borrowed time it doesn't really matter. A new Iridium has twisted on its older bracket meaning it now faces oncoming traffic. Finally on the same road an older ZX3 'Zebra' mounted on a post top adapter has lifted and twisted around.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:15 pm 

This lantern along with many others nearby have been damaged. On each one the same thing has happened, the black part at the bottom is still attached to the pole but the glass upwards is completely missing. Other lanterns along that road that aren't missing have gone a bit wonky.

This lantern has come clean off the top of the column, with just a small strand of wire sticking out.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:54 am 

Hmmm, it must have been really rough down there. Up here in Gods Own Country ( ;) ) we've had some rain showers and some surface water flooding, the riverside pubs in York got a bit wet when the river rose, but nothing out of the ordinary.

Profile  Personal album