It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:41 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:52 pm 
Random avatar

I went on a walk in my town today and came across this:

The lantern in question is a GEC Z5678 which I presume had the canopy blown off in the high winds as it was lying on the grass next to the column. The canopy had a two-part cell fitted. I have rarely heard of lanterns dayburning when they lose their canopies, but does anyone know why it happened to this lantern?

Apologies if this is better suited to other forums, but I felt it is both lanterns and gear so chose this one!

Last edited by Indust on Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:58 pm 
Random avatar

I wondered if someone was going  to start a topic like this, in light of yesterday's St Jude storm!

The lantern is still lit because the canopy had the photocell wired onto it. Because there's nothing to tell the lantern when to turn on or off, the lantern will just stay at whatever function it was on at the time. The lantern obviously must have lost its canopy when it was dark and because the photocell has been lost, there was nothing to tell the lantern to extinguish, so it's stayed on.

I saw a ZX1 today which had lost its whole canopy (the ZX range is quite prone to this when engineers don't bang down the canopies to secure the clips), but it must have happened during the day as the lantern wasn't dayburning. It probably won't be lighting up tonight though as all the ZX1s in my area have photocells drilled into their canopies. Also saw a new Philips Citysoul in town today which had its bowl dangling precariously from the lantern and a lorry fixing a CCTV camera attached to the column of another Citysoul which had been blown askew by the wind (it obviously hadn't been secured properly when it was installed).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:57 pm 
Random avatar

Ahh, thank you for this explanation. That would explain it! I wonder if dayburning after canopy loss is just limited to two-part cells and not photocells, mini-cells or nodes. I'm wondering how long it will remain lit as it's a post-top lantern.

As for bowls, I've noticed a lot of missing this way. We were quite lucky as it wasn't as bad here as it was elsewhere in the UK but today I've seen Z9554s, P226s, Z9538s and many Beta 5s now bowl less.

EDIT: I've also changed the topic title to make it more broad! :D

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:01 pm 
Site Administration

Not quite correct. 2 part controllers are "normally on", the detector turns it off during daylight. If it is faulty/not connected, the controller will day burn -its not dependent on what state the switch was last at - if the canopy was lost during the day, it would still day burn.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:50 am 

Correct... for example, a thermal P42 controller relies on the detector eye being connected as the cell is a Light Dependant Resistor - the resistance to current passing through is less during daylight, and this current flows through the small heater strip inside the cell controller which in turns heats up the bi-metallic strip in the controller which then bends away from the contacts and the lantern switches off. If no cell is connected there is no complete circuit of the small heater and so the bimetallic strip never bends away from the contacts, leading the lantern to dayburn.

I've seen a WRTL2000 with it's canopy having been blown off by chavs with explosives a few years ago - the lantern had a minicell fitted, which was pulled apart with the force that ripped the canopy off, and the lantern then dayburned.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:46 pm 

This sapphire on Henley-on-Thames has been a victim of high winds (presumably). Not only has the lantern spun on the bracket, but the canopy is partially detached!

╩   ╩└─┘┴  ┴ └─┘┴ ┴  ┴
        ╔═╗ ┌─┐┌┬┐      
        ║      ├─┤  │       
        ╚═╝┴  ┴  ┴

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:01 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

The Christmas lights outside Southgate Underground station should look like this, but on Christmas Eve I noticed that the strong winds had brought them down:

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:27 pm 
Random avatar

Quote:
The Christmas lights outside Southgate Underground station should look like this, but on Christmas Eve I noticed that the strong winds had brought them down:

:lol:  :lol: I shouldn't laugh, but that looks hilarious! It looks like the streetlight has got a dress on, ready to go out to a Christmas dance!

There doesn't seem to be any streetlighting damage in my area at the moment, but then again I haven't left the house for 2 days. I should be going out tomorrow though, so may be able to point out some damaged streetlights then. All the canopies of the ZX1s on my street have surprisingly stayed put (the ZX1 seems quite prone to losing its canopy in high winds). There's another storm due tonight though according to BBC Weather, so how long that will last I can't say!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:09 pm 
Random avatar
That reminds me of Tina Charles' song: I Love To Love, But My Baby Loves To Dance.

Going for a night out with John Travolta and The Bee Gees.

This lantern is not as bad, if you look closely at the base you can see it has been damaged in the wind, so the lantern now leans slightly. This one is near my home.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=stepney+ ... 8.53,,2,10
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=stepney+ ... 8.53,,1,-5

Even at times it has been turned to the right, so then the SOX lights up the grass.

I can't remember the original lantern, as far as I can remember this has been here.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:08 pm 
Random avatar

So far the damages have been

SGS203s - Canopies ripped off leaving bowl remaining, I counted 5 on my travels today.
ZX3 - Canopy off and igniter hanging out.
ZX12- Canopies ripped off, two counted.
On top of that lots of brackets/lanterns twisted. Also one 10m steel column supporting a Sapphire was flattened under a large Ash tree that gave way last night.

Profile  Personal album