It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:43 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:30 pm 

I've just been reading about a designer called David Mellor after seeing at the Design museum that he'd designed traffic lights. It also seems that he did a lot for Abacus with bus shelters and lamp posts (see below).

http://www.abacuslighting.com/history-david-mellor.asp

Its just got me thinking that does anyone know any examples that he designed, and also does anyone know anything about the people behind any street light designs (columns, luminaires etc)?

Any help would be great as this would be interesting to look into from a design point of view.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:43 pm 
Site Administration

I knew about the connection between the late David Mellor and traffic light heads but wasn't aware of his connection to Abacus and also the bus shelters. There are 3 of those bus shelters in my village! - the single sided type rather than the fully enclosed type in the link. Just goes to show that like his traffic light head, good/classic design will stand the test of time.

The Atlas (Thorn) Alpha 1 was designed by Richard Stevens in 1955 and he was still working for Atlas/Thorn through the 1960s. The similarity in some of the designs - especially the post tops and the care in aesthetics is plain to see in Thorn lanterns of that time.

Another iconic lantern which is soon to celebrate 40 years of production, is the Philips MA60. This was designed by Tony Butowsky and B. Rogers and won a Design Council award in 1975.

More on the Alpha 1 and the Philips MA60 can be found in the lantern factfiles in the Reference Section.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:59 pm 

Hi there,
Thanks for those leads and info. I've just found a few pictures on the design council slide library :

http://www.vads.ahds.ac.uk/results.php?cmd=search&words=richard+stevens&mode=boolean&submit=search
http://www.vads.ahds.ac.uk/results.php?cmd=search&words=Tony+Butowsky+&mode=boolean&submit=search

Love the wall mounted Gamma 7 - and it gives leads to another two designers.

http://www.vads.ahds.ac.uk/x-large.php?uid=62458&sos=8

http://vads.ahds.ac.uk/x-large.php?uid=62452

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:17 pm 

There is John Ricks who designed the Phosco P178, P179 and the P222, timepiece's is probably the best way to put it as all three have stood the test of time.

The P178 is one lantern that I do think, still looks modern.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:57 pm 
Random avatar

I'd be quite interested to find out who designed the Beta 3 - I saw the one in Salisbury before it was removed and replaced with an Iridium (it's saved in Phosco152's collection) and although I could tell it was old (because no way would it be installed 1970s onwards) but it looked strangely modern and contemporary, even in 2008/9.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:50 pm 
Random avatar

Indust wrote:
I'd be quite interested to find out who designed the Beta 3 - I saw the one in Salisbury before it was removed and replaced with an Iridium (it's saved in Phosco152's collection) and although I could tell it was old (because no way would it be installed 1970s onwards) but it looked strangely modern and contemporary, even in 2008/9.

Another top design by Richard Stevens - http://www.vads.ahds.ac.uk/large.php?uid=61747&sos=19

I wonder if he designed the Alpha 3 as well? Another design classic!  :D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:17 am 
Random avatar

I wish lighting exhibition events were still hosted now like they were in the past. There was that one image that's floated around on here before of loads of different types of columns and lanterns in a row down a street for an exhibition. It's a shame nothing like that happens now - the passion within the manufacturers is going with so many new lanterns looking bland. A modern day lighting exhibition would be such a great event for enthusiasts to attend.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:24 am 
Site Administration

Lighting exhibition thread here.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:40 am 

That exhibition from the 60's is amazing - would have been quite a sight in real.

I think generally there is less interest these days around functional topics of life, and even so within the professions I imagine as well. But these all show amazing works of design too yet seems to be unspoken of in Industrial design circles - strange.

It does seem though that the UK still holds some manufacturing of luminaires so there may be hope yet.

Thanks for the info so far though - great stuff..

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:28 pm 
Random avatar

I think what's happened with streetlighting is a self-fulfilling prophecy, the blander the designs have got over the years the more people have ignored them and so streetlighting has blended into the background of the urban street scene. When I was younger, members of my family often made random comments about streetlighting, especially the old cast-iron columns and how they didn't like modern (at the time) lanterns fitted to them as they spoiled the character etc, although they were still much more attractive than the columns that replaced them!