It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:53 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Switching on Times
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:51 pm 

Interesting topic! We have our Sangamo solar dial 54deg model controlling an ESLA on the front of our shed, but also separately switched by a SELC photocell on top of our nearby Simplex Diadem 125W MBFU. This means that in the depths of winter, the timeswitch takes precedence, and switches on after the photocell has decided it is dark, but the timeswitch is then also set to switch off at 11pm.

In the summer, the photocell tends to dominate, as the solar dial is switching at around 21.30 when it is still light - and so the photocell prevents the light coming on until the Lux level has dropped.

I'm tempted to source a Raspberry pi now...  :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:57 pm 

Lamplewie wrote:
My street is group switched from a central point, one of those SELC digital solar clocks. I think the switch time moves 2 minutes each night.

Hi Lampewie,

The solar clock on my shed appears to switch 2 mins each day.

Regards,

Andrew.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:04 pm 

Doive wrote:
Interesting topic! We have our Sangamo solar dial 54deg model controlling an ESLA on the front of our shed, but also separately switched by a SELC photocell on top of our nearby Simplex Diadem 125W MBFU. This means that in the depths of winter, the timeswitch takes precedence, and switches on after the photocell has decided it is dark, but the timeswitch is then also set to switch off at 11pm.

In the summer, the photocell tends to dominate, as the solar dial is switching at around 21.30 when it is still light - and so the photocell prevents the light coming on until the Lux level has dropped.

I'm tempted to source a Raspberry pi now...  :mrgreen:

Hi Doive,

Sounds like you have a nice setup there.

You should get a raspberry pi they are great and quite cheap. It would be quite interesting for you to take both switches into the unit and  Log the on/off times of both switches. You could gather the data for a year then plot the two switches against each other.

Regards,

Andrew.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:25 pm 

I did a review of switching on times this evening.

19:43 - sun disappeared over the horizon
20:03 - Philips Lumas with CMS on motorway
20:08 - Urbis ZXU1s (2no.) (SON) with mincells
20:09 - Philips Libra (PL-L) with photocell
20:16 - Philips Libras (3no.) (PL-L) with photocells
20:17 - Philips Iridiums (SON) and Philips Libras (PL-L) on Hampshire Mayflower CMS

The ZXU1s are believed to be 70LUX switching, and represent what used to be a common switching on time for street lighting in years gone by before councils implemented trimming with lower LUX photocells and CMS. So, despite the motorway having LED (instant switch on) and a CMS, the lighting switched on 14 minutes before the Hampshire CMS which is switching discharge lighting, and is even switching on lighting 5 minutes earlier than "traditional" SON lighting.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:20 pm 
Site Administration

My village has some 70/100 Lux cells,  and others which are 55 Lux. The latter when used with SOX are just about right, however 55 Lux with SON is still too early.

As meppso, has mentioned, 35 and even 20 Lux cells are becoming more common. For the Lumas in my village, 55 Lux is still too early and one of the lower Lux cells would be a better match. In fact 35/20 would do for any light source other than SOX.

Profile  Personal album