It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:41 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Quadhurst
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:59 pm 
Random avatar

Does anyone know anything about Quadhurst?  Apparently they sell reproductions of concrete lamp posts (obviously on a smaller scale) but I can't seem to find any sales page.  Tried contacting them but no reply as yet.

Post subject: Re: Quadhurst
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:32 pm 
Random avatar

http://www.quadhurst.co.uk/streetlighting.html    this seems to be useful, I assume you haven't seen this but If you have then sorry.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:56 pm 
Random avatar

Yes, I've seen that.  Thanks anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:58 am 

GaryS wrote:
Apparently they sell reproductions of concrete lamp posts...

Re: Quadhurst.

I was quite intrigued with this website. Having speculated in a separate posting about reproduction concrete columns for open air museums, I thought "what a novel idea", especially when you consider the inaccurate, cast aluminium horrors that pretend to be Victorian or Edwardian gas lamps in many of this country's gardens and driveways.

The full range of the Quadhurst lighting columns is limited to a 1930s cast iron swan neck type with an Esla on top followed by a 1950s concrete column with a Revo or similar lantern. They are static models at the moment, although they do intend to bring out fully functioning models in due course, according to the website.

At first glance, (and without sounding cynical) it is difficult to take the lamp pictures at face value. Are these photos of the actual products themselves (if so, the detail is superb) or are these images of full sized columns, which are then shrunk and superimposed onto the garden scene. The website seems to like modifying existing street views with extra columns, telegraph poles and the like.

Anyway, I decided to seek further information on the range, which is sadly lacking from the web page. It would be useful to have dimensions, materials used and above all a price, so therefore my enquiry asked for these details.  I understand that Gary S had tried contacting Quadhurst in a similar vein, but without success.

Anyway, I can confirm I have since had a reply to my enquiry. In a very courteous response, Quadhurst have stated that they are out of stock on their garden lighting range. This is made more challenging by the fact that their usual supplier has since called it a day and has emigrated to Australia. It seems Quadhurst are currently trying to source an alternative supplier and will let me know when the range is back in stock.

Quadhurst however, seems to be more than just a supplier of garden lighting. A glimpse at the website indicates that as well as offering geographical maps of the country, they can also supply reproduction road signs, influenced by the "pre Worboys" era which flourished in the 50s.

The main thing however about Quadhurst, is that aside from its novel product ranges, is the fact that it seems to have a long term ambition. As well as educating people about our changing street scene and the fact that so much of it has been replaced, it also seeks to conserve what is left. Interestingly, the group's mission also includes what is called the Quadhurst Project which "will be an educational, conservation and leisure development and completely unique in recreating 1950s Britain, exactly how it looked in all the elements that go to make up our built environment." - quadhurst.co.uk.

This seems to be at the earliest stages, however with a groundswell of support from its backers, it would be interesting to see the place, should it ever become reality.

Does anybody else have an opinion on the aims of Quadhurst?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:49 am 
Random avatar

I have hundreds of photographs of old concrete lamp posts (many of which have since been replaced) if that would be of any help to anyone at Quadhurst..