It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:55 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:21 pm 

In Beverley where I now work, I found this

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.83996 ... 312!8i6656

Pretty sure its the only one of its kind left in the town. It's quite well hidden.

Further down the road there is a DW Iffley on a cast iron style swan neck, probably installed years ago to replace another survivor like the one above. This looks like this was researched and chosen to complement the much older existing installation. I  don't think I've ever seen this level of effort anywhere else. Normally its an unpainted column and whatever the lantern of choice is, post top if possible.

It's obviously extra cost, but I believe this extra effort adds something to a street and I applaud whoever did it.

Has anyone got any other examples?

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:52 am 
Random avatar

The Circus in Bath only had three lamps on it until around 2005. During that year the column in the above link was replaced by a plain column sporting a post top Iridium. Several months later the old column reappeared along with three new friends! I can only assume that BANES had the original reproduced in order in improve lighting levels and decided that modern faux old fashioned columns would not do.