It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:53 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:51 am 

Certainly a rare sight these days, although do I remember way back in the late 70s the Alpha 3s were pretty numerous. Of course being aged about 9 or so, I didn't know them as Alpha 3s so simply referred to them as "spoons" due to the outline of the bowl. My cousin lived in Lytham St Annes, a town which certainly used them in some quantity.

Regarding the long lasting mercury lanterns, it might be an indication that the columns may have simply fell off the system and theoretically no longer officially exist (a nice thought but probably unlikely).

At the end of the day, it could indeed be down to the cost and inconvenience of changing the bulbs, although in view that all these first generation service station columns were the Abacus fold-down variety, surely this would have been evident long ago. Even if a tower wagon was required, it might be straightforward enough to park it on the grass verge away from the entry slip, and swing the bracket arm round 180' and access the lantern that way. It might also avoid the need for a slip closure, although perhaps even doing that is not encouraged these days.

On the other hand, at least the current situation is unlikely to change for the time being. It might be that the whole site will be relit with LEDs like at Rivington services on the M61. Until then, I do hope these two stalwarts will continue to remain in some sort of use for the foreseeable future.

The site's own maintenance department might even have a few long forgotten MBFs in the cupboard - probably next to the tub of Chunky's channel cubes!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:29 pm 
Random avatar

sotonsteve wrote:
The person who said that on SABRE was talking rubbish. It may be on Highways England land, but that doesn't automatically mean that Highways England own it. The fact that they have not been lantern swapped could be a matter of traffic management legality. On the services land the services can do whatever they like, but if one of their columns is on Highways England land they need to get a temporary traffic regulation order, book roadspace, have a slip road closure put out, and so on and so forth, and the bureaucracy is such that they just don't bother with the hassle.

Until highways have a full closure on for roadworks..

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:32 pm 

Hi GreatNorburyStDepot

That's a strange coincidence with  you saying the Alpha 3s reminded you of a spoon when you were young, I also used to call them spoons as the cream colour of the SON and grooves in the bowl reminded me of a spoon after I had had a mouth full of yogurt  :)

It is nice to see Mercury in this day and age. In my time, mercury was very rare in Carlisle. I only remember 4 roads illuminated with mercury when I was growing up in the 80s, SOX and SON were always the main players. South Cumbria is/was full of Mercury fittings as south Cumbria used to be part of Lancashire before the borders were altered and Cumberland became Cumbria.

Regards,

Andrew.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:12 pm 

Hi Andrew. Yes, it is funny what you remember as a youngster, although to admit to such things having now reached middle age is probably not so cool! I used to have names for some of the other types too, although I struggle to remember them these days.

Where I grew up was predominantly SOX, mainly Beta fives, however one area upto the 80s was still blessed with the old fluorescent Beta six lanterns on 5m Stanton & Staveley columns.

The only Alpha 3s local to me were to be found in Wilmslow, Cheshire, although for sheer numbers Lytham and the surrounding areas was the place. I suspect most were installed to replace 5' fluorescents and Viatrons.

The Alpha three certainly enjoyed a long production run.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:51 pm 
Random avatar

"proper" fluorescent is something I've never really seen here in the UK. I gather they're probably rarer than mercury now - do any examples still exist? I've seen PL-L lanterns, including older models like the Philips FGS XXX but to me that don't really count. Go linear or go home!

Of course, on the near continent linear is somewhat more common and when I was in Amsterdam I managed to photograph a superb installation of double bracket linear fluoro lanterns on a railway platform... it was Amstel Station for anyone interested.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:23 pm 

trencheel303 wrote:
"proper" fluorescent is something I've never really seen here in the UK. I gather they're probably rarer than mercury now - do any examples still exist? I've seen PL-L lanterns, including older models like the Philips FGS XXX but to me that don't really count. Go linear or go home!

Of course, on the near continent linear is somewhat more common and when I was in Amsterdam I managed to photograph a superb installation of double bracket linear fluoro lanterns on a railway platform... it was Amstel Station for anyone interested.

Hi Trencheel,

There is/was a lovely installation of post top fluorescent lanterns in Cambridge, it was 2013 when I was there so they may have been converted to LED by now! They are called Richardson Candles, I think they were time clock controlled as there was a number day burning when I was there.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.20838 ... 56!6m1!1e1

These were down a side street.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.20230 ... 56!6m1!1e1

York also had a  a nice installation of Post lanterns called REVO festivals. They were along Duncombe place but unfortunately were replaced a number of years ago. I do believe they all went to good homes though, I was lucky enough to end up with one in my collection :-)

http://www.heritage-explorer.co.uk/web/ ... dispensary

Regards,

Andrew.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:39 pm 
Random avatar

I'd completely forgotten about the Richardson Candles, yes, they are indeed fluorescent. I think they're listed, so they won't be going anywhere. Doubtless the innards will eventually be converted to LED, unless they're listed to a degree where fluorescent tubes must be used? I still need to get to Cambridge.

Thank you also for your advice earlier in the thread about Tebay services on the M6. Yes, those mercury Alpha Threes (and the odd GEC Turtle?!) are still there! Several hundred kiloWatts of mercury burning away in what mostly looks to be well maintained fixtures!