It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:24 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Now and then
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 7:23 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

Sorry to hear that the new GSV archive feature isn't available on your browser yet, mazeteam.

J T wrote:
Great comparisons Alex, thanks.

I'm on Chrome now and when I go on Google Maps fresh there is no clock icon in the top left corner. Does this mean it's not there yet???

So you're able to see my GSV archive links despite there being no clock? I'll print-screen so that you can see how to access it as I reckon you should be able to (I'm on Chrome too):

1. Click on the New! Clock icon

2. Slide from 2012 to 2008 (for example)

3. Click on the preview box

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 7:41 am 
Random avatar
Thanks! I was hoping the Archive could go back and forward in time in Scarborough but seemingly not. Only one set of imagery.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 10:09 am 
Random avatar

I've found this wonderful picture from 1965 of some lighting examples close to my old house. I believe the lanterns in use are AC Ford AC712. A lot of these cast-iron columns are still in use all over Sheffield today. You can see at the other side of the road that the column has a larger base. This is due it being the control point for the group circuit and is required to carry  a contractor. Interestingly, the control column has a tungsten lantern fitted.

Below is the same view in May 2012 - the control location is still in almost the same place, although served by a 10m column sporting a 150w WRTL Arc and a SELC cell.

http://goo.gl/maps/9qukB

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 10:25 am 
Site Administration

Excellent find for the vintage photo.

50 years on and it just goes to show how current day road markings and street furniture (or in some cases clutter) makes the view look far more urban.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:28 pm 

I'm sure you're all familiar with this famous scene.
Clicky
Now look at it today!
Clicky
ZX3s aren't quite the same as those SOX (or just SO) lanterns. They appear to be AEI Ambers, but it is hard to tell in the photo.

╩   ╩└─┘┴  ┴ └─┘┴ ┴  ┴
        ╔═╗ ┌─┐┌┬┐      
        ║      ├─┤  │       
        ╚═╝┴  ┴  ┴

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:58 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

Thanks Aracia Cat. Sadly, such SOX installations are so few and far between in inner North London; go back maybe a decade and some had survived ZX3ification, but now is a different story.

---

Then

Now

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:11 pm 
Random avatar

Then: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.56487 ... 73c8RQ!2e0

Now: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.56487 ... 0Rg0nA!2e0

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:44 pm 
Site Administration

I came across this image of Custom House Quay in Weymouth in RAIL magazine. On the left are what looks like 2 Alpha 5 lanterns (arrowed) on 10m concrete columns, all looking very new. The image is dated 1979. Back then, trains ran along the quay to meet the ferries. The ferries have long gone and the last train was decades ago, many of the railway lines have been lifted. Note the beam on the side of the building between the lanterns for a pulley block.

This is what it looks like in 2019, courtesy of Google.

Note the beam as the reference point - black arrow. Dorset PFI Iridium now in place (red arrow), ferries long gone, replaced by fishing and pleasure boats.

Whilst searching online, I found this website which has some more old pictures. Note the GEC angled bracket concrete columns with early GEC8420 turtles.

This image on the website and copyright Clive Smith, shows the Concrete Utilities columns and Alpha 5s more clearly.

And the Google view of 2019.

The cafe has had a make over. The plain concrete houses with the arched fronts are now painted blue and yellow, the bay windowed house with the pink frontage by the nearest column is now painted cream. In the distance the road sign can be seen on the brick wall - as in the earlier image. Again a PFI Iridium installation has replaced the concretes.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:45 am 

The lanterns on the concrete columns were Eleco GR150s. I have a feeling these may have disappeared before the Iridiums, but can't say for sure.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:05 pm 

Phosco152 wrote:
Whilst searching online, I found this website which has some more old pictures. Note the GEC angled bracket concrete columns with early GEC8420 turtles.

Further to the above link, if you scroll down a good few of the pictures, you will eventually come across one whose location is described as 'Commercial Road between Westham Road and School Street road junctions".

In it, the class 33 is trundling down towards the camera (passing the Esso garage), however what is of more interest is that it shows the recently erected 10m columns in situ, but the GR150s were yet to be installed.

Not only that, but if you have a close look at this street scene, you will see the original street lighting (and they look like wall mounted Esla lanterns to me).