It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:40 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Now and then
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:01 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

Wow that is news to me then. I had no idea they were unlit post-2000 (the TfL takeover). But as I say, it took them an awful long time to remove the columns. The M41 (A3220) still has the Rivieras, as I could see these from the Circle and Hammersmith line a week ago.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:22 pm 

Reports on SABRE suggest that the column removals on Westway happened no later than early 2007, so they probably took place in late 2006 or early 2007. The original columns on Westway had their original lanterns replaced with ZX3s.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:54 pm 

This is all interesting. I was wondering what them lanterns on the twin arm brackets are towards the end of the film.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:08 pm 
Site Administration

sotonsteve wrote:
Ah, the old days:

That was Salisbury, A36 Southampton Road, May 1988.

Same location, January 2010. Changes to street furniture, road layout and the concretes are long gone replaced with CU columns and Philips TrafficVisions. What is not known if the TrafficVisions are original to the columns, or if they replaced SOX lanterns such as GEC Z9554s. It looks like the "new" columns are near enough in the same position as the concretes.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:57 pm 

Phosco152 wrote:
Same location, January 2010. Changes to street furniture, road layout and the concretes are long gone replaced with CU columns and Philips TrafficVisions. What is not known if the TrafficVisions are original to the columns, or if they replaced SOX lanterns such as GEC Z9554s. It looks like the "new" columns are near enough in the same position as the concretes.

I expect the TrafficVisions are original to the 'new' columns.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:47 pm 
Site Administration

Well although they look "used" and have been up a fair while, I wouldn't be so sure. The A36 from the A360 roundabout has the same age columns yet these have "recently" been fitted with Iridiums which may have replaced SOX lanterns. In that example, it would be unusual to replace one stretch of SON lanterns with new SON lantrens.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:03 pm 
Random avatar

The fact they are painted in two-tone green also suggests that the columns may be older... The last time columns generally got painted were the 80s up until the early 90s with very very few exceptions after...

I'd assume those Trafficvisions are not more than 10 years old?

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:17 pm 

Phosco152 wrote:
In that example, it would be unusual to replace one stretch of SON lanterns with new SON lantrens.

Good wording there, "in that example". Because we all know that in Southampton they would replace a stretch of SON lanterns with new SON lanterns.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:21 pm 
Site Administration

Indeed! Or replaced CFL with SON.  ;)

Indust wrote:
The fact they are painted in two-tone green also suggests that the columns may be older... The last time columns generally got painted were the 80s up until the early 90s with very very few exceptions after...

I'd assume those Trafficvisions are not more than 10 years old?

Certainly by the mid 90s plain galvanised columns tended to be used, those columns look to be early 90s - I suspect the concretes may have went around the turn of the decade.

I know double bracket concretes existed on Churchill Way North (between the A30 and A345), the replacement columns there are newer than those pictured, and are galvanised rather than painted and have SGS203s as the original fit.

It is possible that the TrafficVisions on Southampton Road were original to the columns, the timeline for the introduction of the TrafficVision would fit if the columns were more towards the mid 90s and if that is the case, they were probably some of the first main road SON lanterns in Salisbury.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:51 pm 
Random avatar

If you look at the 1988 photo then you will see a casual replacement metal column with Z9554 which looks to be in the exact same spot as the current column with Trafficvision therefore it probably is the same column. Whether that means all the other columns had Z9554s originally is anybody's guess though seeing as how the Trafficvision only started to appear in the mid 90s it's more than likely they did. (Although to be pedantic if they were fitted in the 90s they'd be MRL135s, not Z9554s would they not?  ;)  :geek: )