It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:15 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:15 pm 
Site Administration

The SOX is all long gone and replaced by LED, on the A1055 in Edmonton in north London  (behind the GSV camera),  but these MA90s still survive. Note the wall mounted disused  "hockey stick".

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:26 pm 
Random avatar

If you want to find lots of SOX Lincolnshire is a good place. For example Heckington, as Beta fives do remain but in the past months, 5 have been replaced to TRT Aspect Eco as they where in bad condition.

Some remain, there's one outside my house and the other day they re-lamped its old Osram lamp with a new 35w Philips SOX plus and also did the 2 Mi26s on the road to the right of my house. These also have new Selec Westire  8480 Photocells too.

Originally the Beta 5 had a Zodion SS3 or SS2 and the Mi26s had Royce Thompson cells.

On main roads, Great Hale, Little Hale and Helpringham have lots of SOX and small amount of LED apart from the main Road in Heckington.

But, new TRT LED lanterns are being used as casual replacements in areas like Heckington.

One layby has Revo Hyperons 90 and 135W and Ubris Evolos 150/250w and Ubris Sapphires. I think the Philips MA90s have been turned off now on some sleeved CU concrete columns.

In Helpringham a Thorn Beta 5 Mk15 is attached to a Stainton Concrete with  part night switching.  Water ingress is causing rust but replacement with new lanterns is happened quite slowly.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:18 pm 
Site Administration

Phosco152 wrote:
The A27 south coast trunk road used to be exclusively lit by SOX, but its practically all gone. There is none left in Hampshire, but in West Sussex, a small section east of Chichester, by the Portfield roundabout still survives.

Further east at Worthing its all gone as well, except for this MA60 which has escaped, probably helped by the tree.

In East Sussex, a stretch a couple of miles long with both central reservation, slip road and verge examples still survives at the Hove and Brighton interchanges.

This is the scene at the A2038 junction for Hove.

This is the scene at the A23 interchange for Brighton.

All these images are from a dash cam. I can't see these installations surviving much longer.

5 months on, all the SOX has gone in the first image replaced by 2nd hand ZX3s. The MA60 at Worthing hidden by a tree is still there though.  :)

Whilst in the other images, almost every column now has one SOX lantern replaced by a 2nd hand ZX3 or a LED lantern - presumably they are fitted in batches once the SOX lamps burn to extinction.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:22 pm 
Formerly Paspie

According to GSV new tubular columns with LED lights have been installed at the eastern end of the Brighton Bypass. If precedence is anything to go by then I'd except the same to happen (eventually) to other parts of the A27 soon.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:39 pm 
Random avatar

In Scunthorpe, there's a road, a suburban road leading off a main one called Gadwall Way and it still has all of it's SOX lights in place, although only 5 out of 7 of them are working, the other two don't seem to light up any more.

Was tempted to report the malfunction, but I bet the council would probably leave them until they get round to replacing all 7 of them with Urbis Axia 2s they've used on most other roads, given that the road still appears to be adequately lit by the remaining 5 SOX lights.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:25 pm 
Random avatar

Amazingly, the M60 around junction 25 STILL has its large "swirly" installation of SOX but there are now an increasing number of duff lamps and with them now going the way of the dodo I suspect they won't be relamped again unless the HA or whoever looks after them have a massive stockpile.

The top right photo on Matthew Eagle's site here http://www.mattheweagles.co.uk/soxlamps.htm (which was taken by me) shows what I mean by "swirly" and can be seen looking north from the small footpath above the motorway here, you can park at the nearby residential streets: https://www.google.com/maps/@53.4328125 ... 384!8i8192

Also of note is Lingard Lane, just 2 minutes up the road, which gives a great view of this (still working!) installation of MA60s:
https://www.google.com/maps/@53.4286156 ... 384!8i8192

Keen observers will have noticed something a little odd about the above - the lights appear to follow the path of what looks like a disused slip road which then abruptly turns into a dead end. This is indeed true, it was built to accommodate the Stockport Bypass (which was never built) and instead lashed onto the modern day M60 and joins the main carriageway (under the metal railway bridge) on the right. The original slip road was therefore never used but by that point the lights had obviously been erected and wired in anyway.

Finally, while not SOX lit, the next junction up (26) is also known as the Bredbury Scissors and has to be seen to be believed - it's remarkable and awful at the same time.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:38 pm 

Re: SOX on J25 / M60.

Having known the Bredbury area for many years, I can confirm the portion from Bredbury to Denton island is still lit by SOX. Further down towards J1 / Stockport town centre, another short run of SOX survives and was relamped only the other year or so as I recall. These lanterns were installed as part of the Stockport East - West bypass (subsequently renamed the M63) which opened in 1982, although rewidening works in 1999-2000 saw the remaining sections either side (towards Cheadle and Portwood respectively) being replaced by SON.

The unused section of motorway at Bredbury was indeed to be a part of the A6M bypass (which had been on the drawing board since 1945), but was subsequently killed off in 1988. As a consequence of this measure, all traffic joining the M60 from Bredbury is literally dumped onto the motorway's  'fast lane'; a manoeuvre  which demands fair nerve (and a heavy gas pedal) - something that is in quite short supply in my old landrover.

The erstwhile M67 from Denton to Mottram roundabout was also SOX lit until a year or so ago; the whole installation has now been uprooted. Whilst the section of M60 towards Bredbury is indeed beginning to look like a relamping is due, the fact that it hasn't been changed to SON, would suggest the HA intend to keep it going for now.

At one point, there used to be two pairs of GEC 'bricks' (one each side of the viaduct carrying the Stockport - Guide Bridge railway line). These were replaced by MA60s to match the remaining installation a few years ago.

The 'scissors' junction towards Portwood is certainly an interesting piece of motorway engineering. It has also got a large installation of high mast SON, although even this seems to be in need of some refreshment. Considering the high masts at Denton Roandabout / M67 were replaced by LED, it is interesting to note that the same work hasn't been repeated here.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:36 am 

Glasgow still has plenty of SOX, but not on the main roads. Once you venture into the side streets, you'll find plenty of rusty cast-iron columns with side-entry and top-entry SOX fixtures with overhead wires strung between them.

Here's an example

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:45 pm 
Site Administration

Possibly the last residential street in Hampshire lit by SOX.

Located east of Winchester in the village of Itchen Abbas. Classic Hampshire hockey stick columns and Mi26s. The lighting may be "parish" given the columns aren't in Hampshire light green. Still fitted with SOX lamps and not LED retrofits, optical and not RF switched.

They had a Winchester City council fault reporting telephone number on them rather than Hampshire County Council.  The village only has a few streetlights, but the others did appear to mix of modern and heritage PFI installations.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:11 am 
Random avatar

Some Parts of Lincolnshire. They are being wiped out around Gainsborough and Boston areas etc. But skeggness still has some and Chapel St Leonards. That still has GEC lights but only a few. And also Newark had some in the outskirts last time I went there.