It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:31 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:17 pm 

Secret User wrote:
I also like to look at old Street View for the same reason as when Street View was introduced it was right as my council was starting the mass replacement so 95% of things there are still intact.

Last edited by ZQH on Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:17 pm 
Random avatar

Similarly my interest in street lighting began as a child. For much of my childhood in what was then the Borough of Hendon a REVO Dalek on a 15ft Angelo concrete column sat outside our front gate, with its galvanised metal access cover proudly stamped with REVO greeting me every time we went out.  The nightly SOX start up fascinated me from a very early age when such colour spectacles stood out in greyer times.

A very wide area of residential streets had this combination of column and luminaire, sometimes with S&L fluted steel columns and main roads lit mainly by REVO and GEC SOX on a similar mix of concrete and S&L columns. All became SOX and remained so until PFI, even if the 1950s installations disappeared more gradually with later steel columns and mainly GEC luminaries came in in the early 1970s.

Much variety could be found in neighbouring boroughs such as mercury units In Hampstead and Camden, or fluorescent installations in the West End, as Simon observed, painted according to the Borough preference.

Borough shields and crests could be found on column access doors As well as location-specific oddities all over the place.

It is indeed a pity that the diversity not only of lamping, but also column materials, designs and colours has so rapidly disappeared. Every suburb and town centre was characterised by its own street lighting design and style that gave it its own sense of place.

Now, rather like the high street itself, such places have become homogenised. Perhaps the march of the ubiquitous galvanised column lacking anything more than a purely functional aesthetic was inevitable as civic pride, such as it was, dissipated.

To be fair to some local authorities, many have made the effort to try to choose effective LED lighting. The TRT Aspects now widespread in Lincs, Rutland and Warwickshire are better than most both in terms of aesthetic and effectively lighting the roadway without overpowering glare.

But I miss the variety and opportunities to acquire old luminaries are far fewer and further between these days.

I will never lose my interest in the subject, but the golden days were those of the Golden Rays and there they will stay(s)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:57 pm 
Random avatar

My interest has declined too. there's not much to see anymore. I wouldn't be so bothered if the new LEDs had orange/yellow light. I know that some companies do make LEDs that produce SOX/SON-like light, but as far as my knowledge goes, they are not used in the UK. If only we could get a petition with enough signatures to change them!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:41 pm 

For my part, my council has recently started casually replacing LED lanterns (most of which are 4-6 years old) around my borough as they fail. Even seemingly random columns are being replaced and new LED lanterns are fitted, although sometimes the original LED lantern is reinstated. Several roads around me have even had their columns and lanterns replaced altogether in recent months. I'd say my interest is mainly focused on casual replacements taking place around my borough.

Profile  Personal album