It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:31 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:25 pm 

The Otley Waitrose lanterns use to be post top and is now sporting MRL6's, See here.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:40 pm 

Tesco's at Askham Bar has replaced the Abacus Amtares globes with Holophane Vista Grandes. Some globes still are in place, along the entrance road and the less-used corner of the carpark and the service area behind the store. the globes that were on the service road have been replaced by the curved lantern that only seems to be installed in places like this (and I've forgotten the name of it!). I presume the remaining globes will be replaced as a matter of course, because I saw the top of a powered access vehicle in the compound.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:37 pm 
Random avatar

Indust:
Quote:
Thankfully the GEC Z9555 Brick and the Eleco GR100 haven't been touched, though.

Urbis Saturn Land:
Quote:
The Otley Waitrose lanterns use to be post top and is now sporting MRL6's, See here.

Pardon me for nit-picking, but the Eleco GR100 is a gear-in-shoe MA90 and the MRL6s are SGS203s.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:28 pm 
Random avatar

Rojojnr wrote:
MRL6s are SGS203s.

Correct from this angle http://www.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source ... 43945&z=15

Quote:
Thankfully the GEC Z9555 Brick and the Eleco GR100 haven't been touched, though.

I believe he was on about these two http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 21973&z=16

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:56 pm 
Random avatar

nick217 wrote:
Quote:

I believe he was on about these two http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 21973&z=16

Yup, I was on about that Brick. The next lantern down is an MA90 with small shoe, but the Eleco faces the camera from the google-view you added.

Here it is close up
Pan around 90 degrees clockwise and you can see the MA90 with small shoe, the Brick, and the MA90 with intergal gear.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:58 pm 

The new-look Sainsburys store at Monks Cross has re-opened, despite half of the Abacus Mini Orions not yet installed in the car park. I don't know what the situatiuon is regarding these, as the construction compound is no longer there, and there is nowhere else externally that the lanterns could be stored. The powered access platform has gone too. Another notable point is that the store has gone from having mid-tilt columns with dual lanterns on top to solid columns the require a cherry picker for lantern maintenance and only a single light on top.

Also worth note is these:

Solar powered belisha beacons. Belisha beacons don't need to operate 24 hours a day, as people don't see them working when it';s daylight anyway, so these ones are a good idea. They charge during the day, and presumably at night, the inverter switches so as to power the flashing LED arrays.

--

In addition to this development, the re-lighting at tesco askham bar, there is now another development going on!
the old Asda store (now The Range homewares superstore) is presently lit by Sugarcube lanterns on Abacus columns. However, today a compound has gone up in the area that used to be the Asda petrol station, and just outside on the grass are a fair few brand new columns. Could it be that the sugarcubes are coming down? It's too early to say just yet, but if they are then I'll be trying to get one to try and solve the mystery of what they actually are

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:01 pm 

Keep us informed. I would be interested in seeing one of them lanterns too, they always baffled me when I was younger.

Guessing they'll be enormous too:
http://www.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source ... 5,,1,-6.41

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:23 pm 

Stelmer wrote:
Guessing they'll be enormous too

(btw, the link doesn't seem to be correct)
I think they will be massive, considering they have either a 250w or 400w SON lamp inside. I have a hunch they are Abacus lanterns, and that the Orion is it's successor. If you're over in the van one day (whilst I'm working, mondays are best for me) then we could always go and check if any have come down, because I think I'd only be able to get one at a time on my bike. Living about 5-10 mins walk away from the place isn't too bad I suppose, if I decided to make a few journeys!
What would be good is to get a few of them, then go to rotherham and use these to replace the Alpha 6's (take the brackets off the columns).

Whilst these particular ones are at least 20 years old, the design was only stopped a few years ago because the McArthur Glen outlet at Fulford has these lighting the car park

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:03 am 

I forgot about those Alpha 6's in Rotherham.

I'm still trying to find out where we can get a counterbalance from. How many Alpha 6's that need to be removed anyway, is it about 5 of them? If the brackets' grub screws are seized on the columns, Lidl is currently selling angle grinders for £25 a piece if anyone is intrested.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:54 am 
Random avatar

Some interesting car park lighting on the Isle of Thanet!

Waitrose in Ramsgate is lit with double bracket concrete columns with Philips MIs installed. There are also some single bracket versions installed around the perimeter of the car park. I doubt if they're MI50s because SOX is effectively outlawed for car parks now, so I presume they may be either MI55s or MI57s. The columns look quite new as the concrete still looks pale, so I presume they may have been installed toward the tail end of concrete column production, probably the late 80s or early 90s. Certainly very unusual indeed!

Link

This retail park was constructed throughout 2005 and 2006 and completed in early 2007 and has been lit with double-bracket Thorn Civics. Interesting to see Civics on the Thanet at all really, as the Arc is now the preferred lantern of choice.  

Link

Some very strange lanterns light the Westwood Cross retail park, constructed in 2003 and 2004 and opened in 2005. I thought they may be DW WIndsor models as they look very similar to the Rio lantern, but the lanterns look way too large and conical for them to be Rios. Can anybody properly identify them?

Link

Finally, some frankly pretty ugly installations light this footpath leading from the car park, constructed in 2007 and opened in early 2008. You can also just about see some DW Windsor Rios lighting the car park itself in the background. Just as a side note, if you pan 90 degrees clockwise, you'll also see a lone surviving GR150 on an Eleco concrete column with a very long sleeve (there used to be more of these, but they've been replaced over the years by the various SON lanterns you see on the road). If anyone can identify those ugly-looking lanterns, I'll be very grateful!

Link