It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:53 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:16 am 
Random avatar

Urbis Saturn Land wrote:
It reminds me of the melted bowled MRL6s going up Huddersfield Road (the A641).

Did they once run MBF?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:01 am 

They've always ran SON.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:28 pm 
Random avatar

Saw some new mystery lanterns in the car park of a newly refurbished Sainsbury's Savacentre today in Beckton, East London! They replaced a few WRTL HML400 high mast installations and look like LED lanterns (if that's the case, this would be one heck of an energy saving)! Some black flat-glass ZX3s lighting the store's deliveries access road have also been replaced with these. But I've no idea what they are! If anybody can identify them, I'd be most grateful:

Also, not sure if this would classify as being part of this thread, but a couple of pub car parks in my area have some GEC Z9454s installed: The Harrow, Rose Lane (the lantern here is in a very bad way) and The Cross Keys, Crown Street.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:00 am 

Going purely on how they appear to have two "optics" or sections of LED's they may be Urbis Axia's, but this is based purely on what I can see of it.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:00 pm 

We visited friends in Kent over the weekend just past, and I couldn't believe my eyes when we drove into the Hempstead Valley shopping centre in Gillingham, to be greeted by the images below...

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage

Now, this was exciting enough, but I really wanted to see these beauties illuminated. I was hopeful that they were still in nightly use, as the overall condition was rather good, with only two casual replacements, one being a spectacularly nasty LED thing, entirely out of keeping with the delightful Alpha 3s. I can't identify the saucer lanterns, I'm thinking GEC possibly. I'd assumed they would all be running SON. Now, being a confirmed MBF-head, I was almost beside myself when I saw this...  :mrgreen:

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage

The above photos show only one of the saucers lit, via two MBF bulbs by the looks of things. Given that my geared Alpha 3 is running 250W MBF, I'd venture that these are running 400W MBF given the brightness levels. Could the large saucer be something like a GEC ZD10606? And the small one a GEC Z5680? Very lovely whatever they are.

Given the fairly recent addition of a nasty LED lantern, and the energy savings that would offer, I would say the days of these fantastic mercury lanterns may be numbered.

Larger versions are visible on my Flickr page.

I'd like to offer my sincere gratitude to my other half, who allowed us to drive quite a bit out of our way at 1.30am to get the night photographs.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:46 am 

Ooh very nice - I do like those double bracket Alpha 3 installations. And working MBF lanterns at such high powers now is almost unheard of.

The big saucers are the wonderful Phosco P222 giant multilamp post tops (these are about 5ft in diameter across the top), whilst the small version is a Phosco P178 - if they were mounted slightly higher using slightly brighter lamps then I'd say they'd be P179s, but they're at 5m and not bright enough to be those. The P222s are older examples too - these were designed to be fitted to Stanton concrete columns because the spigot casting is octagonal. The P178/179/222 lantern design range won a Design Council award because they look so aesthetically pleasing.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:00 pm 

Fantastic photos Doive. I rather like the 'Euro style' columns as there used to be some in Forster Square / Cheapside on what use to be Broadway in Bradford before it got torn down.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:13 pm 
Random avatar

Just noticed that the access road for deliveries to the Sainsbury's in Ilford, Essex has had all its Beta 5s retrofitted with these peculiar looking lanterns (which I think are Gewiss Indys)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:22 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

They look like Nordex Asta 1s to me.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:49 pm 
Random avatar

The Bromley-by-Bow Tesco car park in Tower Hamlets, East London still has two Gamma 5s and a Gamma 6 still surviving despite being lit in the main by Abacus Orions:

http://www.ukastle.co.uk/discussion/gallery/image_page.php?album_id=20&image_id=2867

http://www.ukastle.co.uk/discussion/gallery/image_page.php?album_id=20&image_id=2868