It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:30 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:04 am 

Another new mercury installation i've spotted is the recent McDonald's renovations.

The decorative posts round the entrances appear to have mercury lamps installed.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:11 pm 
Random avatar

Stelmer wrote:
Another new mercury installation i've spotted is the recent McDonald's renovations.

The decorative posts round the entrances appear to have mercury lamps installed.

And they just dayburn all the time too!  :shock:

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:21 pm 

Why do I get the feeling that the lamps in them won't last long then?  ;)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:28 pm 

McDonalds must be lovin' it until when they see their electricity bill. Then they'll start to loath dayburning lamps.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:34 pm 

Urbis Saturn Land wrote:
McDonalds must be lovin' it until when they see their electricity bill. Then they'll start to loath dayburning lamps.

Ah, but it's alright to waste energy with dayburning lamps, because the new McDonalds signs themselves are LED illuminated... :roll:

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:10 pm 

The Golden Arches might not mind the mercury lighting bills with them being a global wide American company. Still I am totally surprised at them using mercury. Some newly refurbished stores out here too use mercury lighting, for the carpark.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:44 pm 
Random avatar

McDonalds drive-thrus in my area use SON lighting. The one in Central Blackpool has what I believe to be Abacus Camino lanterns and those 'Sugarcube' Abacus lanterns in the car park. The McDonalds in Fleetwood has Philips SGS201 lanterns which are never switched on anymore, either that or all the lamps have expired and not been replaced! It's annoying because it's pitch-black round there now, you really think they'd sort it out!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:01 pm 
Random avatar

Our drive thru has no lanterns [however there are huge MA50s and Z9554s on the main road right next door] however the one in Melksham has one of those Gewiss Indy lanterns, and the rest are those Disano Sellas.

Don't think I spend my whole life in McDonalds! I hate the place.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:51 am 

That reminded me... those 'sugar cube' lanterns (the big ones at least, like ASDA used) are remotely geared...

One step closer to full identity...

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:42 pm 

If you want to find the most unusual supermarket lighting in Hertfordshire, then it's not worth visiting any supermarkets!

Instead, a look at the supermarket head offices and distribution centres is likely to be far more fruitful. For example, take a look at Tesco's Head Office in Delamere Road, Cheshunt (if you want the full address, look at any Tesco receipt or Tesco own-label box or jar of food!). The Head Office still has around eight five-metre Concrete Utilities hockeysticks with 55w Thorn Alpha Ones on them. Here is what they look like in Google Street View (view one and view two), and as I work for the company myself, it would be silly of me not to have my own close-up photograph of one of these 55w Alpha Ones...

This photograph taken in September 2008.

The columns and Alpha Ones are likely to have been installed when the Head Office was opened in 1980.

And just up the A10 from Cheshunt (and passing these magnificent GR200s on the way), the Sainsbury's distribution depot in Buntingford has a complete installation of almost a dozen very rare lanterns. Can anyone guess what they are from this Google Street View scene?

In case anyone answered deep-bowled Atlas/Thorn Alpha Five, they are in fact the Phosco P160! Here's a close-up...

This photograph taken in October 2008.

Lit at night, it looks like some of these Phosco P160s have been converted to 90w SOX lanterns (while others run 135w SOX and some others are partially burnt out), suggesting some of the original leak transformers for the 140w SLI lanterns are still in use to this day.

Last edited by David on Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.