It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:22 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:53 pm 
Site Administration

The M3 services at Fleet have recently carried out some lantern swaps replacing GEC Turtles with Kingfisher Citta lanterns running MH. The original Abacus fold columns have been retained but painted black from light blue. The MRL6 lanterns which were previous casual replacements for the Turtles have not been replaced.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:28 pm 
Site Administration

My local Tesco uses SON spheres in the car park - horrible things - but at least they are the type with a black covered upper hemisphere.

Under a covered walkway they use the totally transparent spheres which until last week were fitted with MBF lamps. In an effort to save power they have been retrofitted with LED lamps similar to these:

However, a greater saving in energy could have been achieved by removing half of the spheres in the first place - they are on twin brackets every few metres, or better still fitting a photocell and not running them 24/7. Horse/stable door and token gesture spring to mind...

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:08 pm 
Random avatar

It's interesting to see the different approaches that are taken in order to improve efficiency / light quality in car parks. A few replacement schemes have recently been completed in my area…

Our local ASDA super centre has replaced all of it's sugar cube lantern's lamps - they previously ran dual 250/400w SON (presumably) and now run a single coated metal halide lamp.

The local Morrisons replaced all of the lamps in it's Abacus Orion's when the construction of a new Boundary Mills store was complete. The Mills carpark also used Orions but with Metal Halide lamps. Morrisons chose to retrofit theirs with rectangular induction lamps.

Valley Centertainment's globe lanterns have all been retrofitted with LED lamps similar to those above.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:40 am 
Random avatar
Sainsbury's has completely redone our Scarborough store to make way for a restaurant upstairs.

And... they have LED Lighting  :D  I think they're like Axias or Stelas or Lumas. There are two on the footpath access route and the rest are used for the car park, with them being twin bracket tall lanterns.

Next time I pass them I'll try and figure out what they are.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:36 pm 
Random avatar

A new Asda which opened in Chadwell Heath, Barking and Dagenham, northeast London in October has these unusual lanterns lighting its car park. Any ideas what they could be?

Just to the left of the store, lighting the beginning of the road leading to McDonalds and Comet (now B&M) is/was a derelict Alpha 9. Whether this has now been replaced due to the new Asda I have no idea, as I can't find any 2013 pics of this view. But it was still surviving in late 2012, that's for sure!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:05 pm 
Random avatar
They're Iridium 2s I think!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:22 pm 
Random avatar

Just uploaded to the gallery this picture of some unusual LED lanterns which light the car park of a new LIDL store which opened a couple of months ago in Hainault, on the border of Redbridge and Epping Forest:

http://www.ukastle.co.uk/discussion/gallery/image_page.php?album_id=20&image_id=2915

If anybody can identify them, I'll be most grateful!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:11 am 
Random avatar
What are these ones at the entrance to Jewsons?

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=northw ... 52.12,,1,0

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:24 am 

Holophane Petxina's... we have them at our local Aldi store car park.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:27 am 
Random avatar
Thanks for the confirmation. Someone help Rojojnr out now?