It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:32 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:54 pm 
Random avatar

They have a few Orions in Gateshead which are replacing the Old multiple lamp GEC post-tops(I dont know the name) and they are usually switched by a cell from the signs mounted to the column, however a few examples I have seen on columns without signs they are just left on permanently, others I believe are controlled by electronic time clocks in the base.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:57 pm 

I suspect Darlington may also be using electronic clocks, because they switch on rather early in the day. The problem with electronic clocks is that they do need to be checked regularly. I have one that controls the lighting in my garden, and in the autumn the lights were staying on an hour later (instead of switching off at 10.15pm like I'd set).... I left it like that because it was just 5 days off when the clocks went back an hour; which then corrected things, as obviously the clock had decided to change it's time a few days early!

where are the old GEC multi-lamp post tops in Gateshead?

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:16 am 
Random avatar

Aah so the Abacus Orion has only really been designed for group-switching then? I guess Abacus are more of a niche manufacturer for private firms rather than trying to compete as a major player in the streetlighting market. That is apart from their raise-and-lower columns of course which are universally popular.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:50 am 

That's what I realised the other day... The orion is a brilliant lantern for optical performance, but how can you switch them individually without using a clock? the answer is: not very easily!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:46 am 
Random avatar

Yes, Asda at Gateshead use Abacus high masts, there must be around 10 lanterns on each mast. Yes the Orions don't look too bad as well in my opinion. I bet they take a bit installing looking at the size of them. Shotley Bridge Hospital uses them, but they are all group switched from a central control point on the wall.

Old GEC Post Tops:
1 http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 3,,0,-6.48

2 http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... ,,1,-14.74

And a odd 3 way lantern in Durham: http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... ,,2,-27.96

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:29 am 

Those GEC Post Tops are what we nickname the "Fishbowls"!

Those lanterns that look like the Mitshubishi logo are strange ones that I have only ever seen in the north east. There's a pic somewhere of them in Sunderland, and just up the road from you in Stanley there are/were some too. They are either Selux or Helux lanterns.... something like that!

The Abacus Orion is a massive lantern, just about the same as those multi-lamped fishbowls they'll be replacing (over 1m in diameter)... and the only time I've seen them being installed was at the Morrisons in York, whereby they'd already been fitted to the columns, and then a tractor/JCB pulled the columns upright into place.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:11 am 
Random avatar

That last link looks like a cluster of possible AEC lanterns or some other Continental manufacturer.

As for the Abacus Orion, perhaps if Abacus redesigned it to make it more photocell-friendly they could market it as a modern-day equivalent to those GEC Fishbowls that Scott posted pics of above!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:33 am 
Random avatar

There's a few installed around here, personally I think they look awful installations but the council must like them as they replaced the column on the streetview example but kept the lantern. I have seen this happen before with Alpha8's etc. Yes I remember when one of the Orions tops blew off at our Tesco, it was huge.

Ive also posted another odd post top lantern on the North East discussion.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:30 am 
Site Administration

Well, never mind the Abacus Orion and modern saucers, what you need is "proper" vintage saucers to light your carpark like these. :D

One has been lost to modern SON lanterns, probably as the spigot caps need to be greased to prevent siezure - as this one shows evidence off. That isn't bird poo on the spigot but knarled metal.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:49 am 
Random avatar

Yes! Not many on the old Thorn Gammas up here unfortunately. The only one I have seen is in the yard of a garage and only half the bowl is remaining. To replace it they used to Metal Halide Floodlights but still left the half of the bowl in place.

Profile  Personal album