It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:21 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:17 pm 

Rojojnr wrote:
Some very strange lanterns light the Westwood Cross retail park, constructed in 2003 and 2004 and opened in 2005. I thought they may be DW WIndsor models as they look very similar to the Rio lantern, but the lanterns look way too large and conical for them to be Rios. Can anybody properly identify them?

Link

Finally, some frankly pretty ugly installations light this footpath leading from the car park, constructed in 2007 and opened in early 2008. You can also just about see some DW Windsor Rios lighting the car park itself in the background. Just as a side note, if you pan 90 degrees clockwise, you'll also see a lone surviving GR150 on an Eleco concrete column with a very long sleeve (there used to be more of these, but they've been replaced over the years by the various SON lanterns you see on the road). If anyone can identify those ugly-looking lanterns, I'll be very grateful!

Link

Those in the first link are Holophane Vista lanterns (not to be confused with Vista Grande, the post top version). Those in the second link are either DW Windsor Serina or Kingfisher Serika lanterns. The only way of distinguishing which of the two they are is to see if they have the DW Windsor Diamond Optic reflector system or not.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:12 pm 

those serina/serika lanterns do not look right on those columns. there's some of these installed on Katryn Avenue in York - they're an overspill from the park and ride development, and are remotely switched from the P&R office which often means they either dayburn or are off by night.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:24 pm 
Random avatar

Quote:
Those in the second link are either DW Windsor Serina or Kingfisher Serika lanterns. The only way of distinguishing which of the two they are is to see if they have the DW Windsor Diamond Optic reflector system or not.

That is fascinating how the lanterns from both manufacturers have very similar names and are of an almost identical design - one company has very clearly launched their lantern to compete directly with the other. Does anybody know any other instances of two different manufacturers with very similar lantern names and designs?

Quote:
those serina/serika lanterns do not look right on those columns. there's some of these installed on Katryn Avenue in York - they're an overspill from the park and ride development, and are remotely switched from the P&R office which often means they either dayburn or are off by night.

No, they look absolutely awful on those columns. Sounds to me from what you say about the York examples that the Serina/Serika is a very bad design - it's certainly bad in terms of aesthetics! The fact they are remotely switched just makes them a whole lot worse!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:28 pm 

Rojojnr wrote:
That is fascinating how the lanterns from both manufacturers have very similar names and are of an almost identical design - one company has very clearly launched their lantern to compete directly with the other. Does anybody know any other instances of two different manufacturers with very similar lantern names and designs?

There are a few lanterns about where some manufacturers sell designs of other manufacturers under license. The Serina and Serika will have been made by the same manufacturer, AEC Illuminazione of Italy. AEC make the Serika, and Kingfisher are a British supplier of this lantern. DW Windsor also supply the AEC Serika, but modify it with their Diamond Optic reflector and brand it as a DW Windsor Serina.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:30 pm 
Random avatar

Indust wrote:
A new Sainsbury's has opened in my town (yes - ANOTHER Supermarket, to go with Tesco, Asda, Iceland, Aldi and Lidl) here

The existing SOX lighting has all been replaced now (Geared MA90s, Alpha 9s and Z9454s). Second hand SGS203s have been used in all cases, more commonly with flat glass and post-top on new black columns. Some have been retrofitted to old columns and brackets though. I think all lanterns have been replaced right down to the second SGS203 in the google cache. The 2 SGS203s in the cashe replaced huge arched CU Highway columns from the 1950s, in 1999.

A mini roundabout has been installed opposite the store in the middle of the road, with SGS203s and my old infant school is being demolished for it. :(

In the actual carpark you can just see typical Holophane lanterns, (QSSs and Vista Grandes) although you can also see a Beta 5 with missing refractors from a nearby street.

Also worth noting, the Gamma 6 on cast iron column behind the column has been retained, but the Albany closest to the camera has had its bracket removed and an unpainted one added with a second hand SGS203! Thankfully the GEC Z9555 Brick and the Eleco GR100 haven't been touched, though.

These SGS203s that look second hand, with unpainted brackets have been replaced with Albanies on normal 'half hooped' brackets. These Albanies are teardrop bowls I think, where as most of the others in town have rounded bowls.

Sainsbury's are indeed demolishing my old infant school for a café too - not pleased.  :evil:

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:33 pm 
Site Administration

A bit of inconsistency with Sainsbury rebuilds in Hampshire. At the end of 2008, Farlington had its original SGS203s replaced with Holophane Vista Grande lanterns on the existing columns, which were repainted.

July 2010 and Kempshot in Basingstoke has kept its SGS203s on Stainton 10m hex section mid hinged columns. The columns were just repainted.

August 2010, Wallington Fareham has lost the majority of its painted 10m columns and ZX3s that were barely 20 years old (and have been day burning for months) to be replaced with 10m galvanised columns - lanterns yet to be fitted.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:19 pm 

I'm waiting to see if Sainsbury's decides to do anything with it's York city centre store. They've announced a refit inside, which is a downgrade to the original plans of knocking through into the adjacent unit (which was homebase until they moved out to Foss Islands Road)... but the carpark is full of MAZDA lanterns, which may be the only ones in the UK.

Meanwhile things happened to work out so I was at Tesco Askham Bar at night to see their new (Mini*) Orion lanterns in use... and they're SON - eurch!
The previous lanterns were abacus Amtares globes running SON and they've changed to (Mini) Orions running SON. The optical engine is exactly the same, so what was the point in changing the lanterns?

(* I believe they're mini orions, but can't be 100% sure)

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:38 pm 

I bet they are replacing the lanterns to make the place fresh and brand new but when these have the same optical reflector its just a waste of cash its better keeping the original lanterns there.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:48 pm 

Exactly. and the thing is the petrol station still has the globes, and there is a column beside the footpath from the nearby college (sim balk lane) which still has it's globe fitted - so it's not as if the job's been done properly to give a unified look. And what is more, the delivery entrance has had it's globes replaced with Lunoides (or whatever they're called) just to make things look even less consistent.

Profile  Personal album