It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:11 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:51 am 
Founder
Random avatar

mazeteam wrote:

From the yahoo group comes this:
LED Lighting in Sainsburys car park, Crayford
This is a design that even makes the Italian-designed lanterns look nice! This looks like a lowbay factory light that has lost it's top. In fact, the top is a massive heatsink - and the lantern is somehow bolted to the narrow end of the column tube, which has been left unpainted to clash with the black lantern that emits a high glare blue light.

I would never have guessed that it is an LED lantern when looking at that picture - the optics are most unique! I think the optics for this type of lantern provides a stylish, innovative look. However, the lantern itself is really ugly!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:05 pm 

I think this lantern is more tacky in design, it makes the WTRL Stella look like an angel.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:33 pm 

when you look at the light itself and the optic in the end-on picture (right hand side) - the light kinda looks like a white glowing ghost bat!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:43 pm 
Site Administration

Well no LED lanterns at the Wallington, Fareham, Hampshire Sainsbury's rebuild. The 1990 vintage painted columns with ZX3s have been replaced with new galvanised columns. In the last week Holophane QSMs running SON have started to appear.

Interestingly the brackets are painted the "Sainsbury's light grey". It looks like the grub screws have yet to be fitted to the bracket. Will the columns end up being painted?

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:14 pm 

If they forget to fit the grub screws then it'll end up with the lanterns imitating weather vanes!

It's odd how more popular the bog-standard 2-tone grey version is. Call me old fashioned, but I much prefer the jet-black version!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:47 pm 
Site Administration

It is very much still "work in progress" and the brackets may not be in their final orientation. Some columns have MH and tungsten halogen floodlights attached to them a few metres up and there are also generator powered "mast lights" in use in the car park. The fitted QSMs are in a few "dark spots" of the car park so I suspect they were hastily installed to cope with the now darker evenings - clocks go back next weekend.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:55 pm 
Site Administration

Spotted in a new Texaco petrol station in Amesbury, Wilts is this CFL floodlight. It looks like four loops are 1 lamp as there is a split in the base of the lamp base.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:22 pm 

An interesting design, although I do wonder what the point of the reflector in the back is if the light hitting it has to try and get past sixteen tubes to get out! It looks like half the surface area of the tubes are wasted (i.e the side facing into the canopy) and perhaps installing half the number of tubes, but in the centre, and allowing the light that's hitting the reflector in the back to come around the sides, might be equally as bright but at half the cost?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:20 pm 

I'm not thinking about the fitting for the time being... I'm more interested in the lamp, as I have NEVER seen a CFL lamp quite like that! I wonder what it's reference is... you can't call it PL-T, because the lamp is flat and elongated, but you can't call it PL-L because it's got multiple loops.
Fitted in the floodlight, the whole thing looks like some stupid toothy robot! :lol:

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:29 pm 

I wonder if the lamps are called 'PL-T Plus' because of the extra loops. :lol:

Profile  Personal album