It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:16 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:46 pm 

well I'm gonna  nickname them "piano keys" for now, until we have an official name!! :lol:  :mrgreen:

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:12 pm 
Site Administration

Phosco152 wrote:
Well no LED lanterns at the Wallington, Fareham, Hampshire Sainsbury's rebuild. The 1990 vintage painted columns with ZX3s have been replaced with new galvanised columns. In the last week Holophane QSMs running SON have started to appear.

Interestingly the brackets are painted the "Sainsbury's light grey". It looks like the grub screws have yet to be fitted to the bracket. Will the columns end up being painted?

Some of the old columns near the entrance of the site and also the perimeter have been retained and freshly painted in a darker shade of grey to the bracket in the image above. The ZX3s are also still fitted to these columns (for the moment). There are no more QSMs fitted at present.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:37 pm 
Site Administration

How about this, that I spotted at a store car park in the San Jose area of California.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:03 pm 

shoebox lanterns with a difference! I know the spikes are bird deterrents, but I think thay add a bit of randomness to the installation!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:20 am 
Site Administration

Sotonsteve spotted these induction lights at a Jet service station on the A30 at Honiton Devon whilst we were out and about yesterday.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:50 am 

a neat looking low-maintenance fitting. Shame that more of these aren't around in shopping centres and other places.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:25 am 
Random avatar

I don't really know anything about induction lighting but it looks like a supersized CFL tube to me  :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:50 am 

It is pretty much the same thing, in that light is emitted by exciting the contents of the tube, and then the coating of the tube absorbs the energy and converts it to light. Induction works by using electronic charges within a circuit that is in close proximity to excite the lamp particles by proximity, whereas fluorescent works by exciting the lamp particles through electrodes.
As the latter has to 'break in' to the lamp, as it were, this reduces the lifespan of the lamp - and so because induction doesn't do that then you have, in theory, a lamp that could last forever. In practice, the lamp will eventually dim and go out - but this will take way way longer than any other lamp to expire (may even outlive LEDs - though this has yet to be tested) and so Induction lighting is often used in areas that are hard to access, such as street lighting on narrow footpaths or lighting of fuel station canopies or the high-level lighting in shopping centres (and maybe those lights you get illuminating escalators)... anywhere that would be hard to get at.

(the actual induction technology is more complicated than I have described - but I only remember the fairly simple description of it!)

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:58 pm 
Random avatar

Thanks for your explanation Mazeteam  :)

I guess induction lighting must be expensive then or it's use would be more widespread with such an amount of longevity! Also, I'm willing to bet the light given off is of a better quality than LED (similar to CFL?) and yet the use of LED becomes ever more widespread!  :x

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:02 pm 

Induction lighting is a form of compact fluorescent lighting, just with a different method of generating an electric current in the tube.

Profile  Personal album