It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:15 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:25 pm 
Random avatar

A couple of privates here

https://goo.gl/maps/ZzhzaF8ouHRVPHzu6

The GEC? on the rusty white vintage column is now running what appears to be LED and i think has been done up recently.

The Black Gas Lantern in the Terrace garden, is, actually running gas, on a nightly basis.

The chap with the White column has a couple of 35w SOX behind the garage visble if you move GSV down the back street and look.
The end cottage also has a private 35W sox Beta 5 on the rear wall too.

Strange to see such a cluster of private owned SL

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:05 pm 
Site Administration

In Rickmansworth, Herts, the local water works has a pair of Gamma 6s mounted on the gate posts. It is unknown what lamp type they use and if they are still in use.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:22 pm 
Random avatar

A survivor in the true sense here:

https://goo.gl/maps/PedajFDeLq5Lsrwq9

The GSV image is from 2009 although the installation remains the same ten years later with the old Thorn Alpha 9? remaining in service. It appears the newer lantern above has never been connected up and looks to this day in great as new condition. The lower lantern is increasingly battered and the end of the bowl is broken now.

I think the old lantern was relamped recently too.

I imagine the new lantern would have been installed a few years prior to this image as Bury was installing 2600s and arcs around 2008 as casual replacements.

If you move down the road you will see several other columns with two lanterns, these have all been cut off leaving the boxes on the posts. It appears most have been through wired into the new box/bracket/lamp.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:39 pm 
Random avatar

There's a Hull FC training center with 1950s era looking concrete columns/lighting at it's front entrance: https://maps.app.goo.gl/L4WBmEJ2MwcL91rW7

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:45 pm 

That's good to see in this day and age

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:12 pm 
Site Administration

Well this has now been replaced.

It was on borrowed time, having been working only sporadically during 2017, but it did survive the South Coast PFI, probably as being a result of being parish owned. It was however repaired and has been a reliable performer over the last 2 winters.

Last week this was installed in its place.

A Victorian square style lantern would have better matched the others in the location.
Light source is LED, but rather than an array, its a COB (Chip on Board) type. Basically a jumbo size single LED.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:14 pm 
Random avatar

A thorn precinct that is still in use in Hereford!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:19 am 
Formerly Paspie

The Nether Wallop Parish in Hampshire maintains a number of 'pedestrian' lights, mainly Beta 79's as far as I can tell, but this one beside the Salisbury Road is still being fed MBF lamps.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:02 pm 

Hi all,

So, I live near Harrogate in North Yorkshire.  Most of Harrogate's roads are still lit with very old 25ft columns that can be seen in photos from the 1950s.
I was unsure what manufacturer made these columns, but they had a Stewarts and Lloyds look about them so I started looking through old S&L catalogues on the Simon Cornwell website.

And by complete chance, in a December 1953 catalogue there's a picture taken in Harrogate, of the exact columns I was looking for!
This exact column along with many others still stand today, here are some street view screenshots.
ImageImage
This particular one has had its bracket replaced, although many still have the original brackets. This must have happened in the late 1960s when Station Square has fluorescents installed (seen in the background of the 1970 photo below).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:39 pm 
Site Administration

Several relics from the past are located in Grimsby docks, all within a few hundred yards of each other.

First GEC Z5590 on a somewhat unusual column on the left, GEC Z8430 on 1980s column in the centre.

Unusually the same Z8430 lanterns which are usually a “main road” lantern is also on smaller cast iron columns on the bridge itself.

Since this GSV image, aluminium columns with LED lanterns have now been installed, but the old installations are still in situ.

Beneath the bridge is a CU Highway column with a MRL6.

Further along the road are a stretch of GEC Z8526 “Turtles”.

Profile  Personal album