It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:33 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:03 am 

Your photo shows it to be a GR102, the gear-in-lantern 90w version.  https://www.flickr.com/photos/8050359@N07/4457626965

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:34 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

Thanks for the clarification Claire.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:17 am 

A while ago I suggested in this thread that  any SOX could now be considered a survivor.

Given the pace of the LED rollout, I would now suggest expanding that to all discharge lamps.

I also believe brackets are dying out generally as post top is preferred wherever possible. Though this has been a trend for probably the last decade.

Your thoughts are welcome

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:00 am 

SOX will be dead for general streetlighting probably sooner than we realised as the lamps become harder to source. I was told by someone at Notts CC that lamps used by them are made to order?  

I agree that the rate of replacement seems to be wiping out LPS faster than most of us might have previously thought. As for brackets, here in Notts many brackets are being retained but in a cut-down form.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:19 am 
Formerly Paspie

That's rubbish as SOX lamps/ignitors/ballasts are still made in Hamilton, Scotland and all over the world, and they are still distributed by online retailers. Some contractors probably have NOS left from when the SOX lanterns in their area was scrapped.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:00 pm 

In Calderdale SOX is slowly dying out as near to me are a few newish LED installations.

My street hasn't had the LED treatment yet, but on some of the unadopted side roads still sees the old gas column convertions still going strong in 2015, but for how long for? Who knows.

I do think that by 2020 90-95% of all streetlighting in use will be LED in some form, by 2025 I'm guessing that the figure will be 100%.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:06 pm 

Regarding the "Knife" lantern in Rotherhithe, I am inclined to suggest an alternative identification for this lantern, rather than the GR102 already suggested.

Without knowing the mounting height and if there is any image distortion due to the camera angle etc, I think the length of the lantern in relation to the perceived depth of the bowl makes me think of a GR200, as does the position of the photocell in the canopy.

Now as we all know, the GR200 was purely for a 180W SOX with remote gear and a quick look at Mr Cornwell's excellent resource confirms this, with no evidence of a 135W geared version offered by Eleco.

That said, if you also check out the Philips range on the same site, the MA4 which looks to be of similar dimensions to the MA6 (GR200) did have integral gear and was designed to run a 135W SOX lamp. A chance look at a very similar looking beast online, makes me think this lantern could actually be an Eleco GR152. It might have been a lantern made to special order which would make it a very rare find indeed.

If you look to the rear of this lantern, you can just make out the shadow of the gear inside. Early GR bowls such as that used on the GR102, had shortened refractors and the rear "geared" portion opalised for aesthetic purposes. Later ones seemed to be the same type as used on the GR150 with full length refractors. This lantern's bowl whilst looking to be the same length as its 180W stablemate, also seems to have this opal portion at the rear.

Interestingly, the Philips catalogue model and the online beast I came across, both feature a cut off bowl therefore it is possible this lantern's  CO bowl (if originally fitted) might have been changed to an SCO type later on.

I think it is worthy of another look, in any case.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:37 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

Thank you for broadening the discussion on this. My initial gut feeling when I first spotted it in person was 'GR200', however I soon ruled this out on the grounds that 180 W SOX would never be installed by the local council and certainly not at that height. The GSV confirmed the 'opaqued' section of the bowl, which clearly indicates that it is a lower wattage with integral gear.

I've just had another look at GR102 images and it appears to be a shorter length.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:07 pm 
Random avatar

Urbis Saturn Land wrote:
In Calderdale SOX is slowly dying out as near to me are a few newish LED installations.

My street hasn't had the LED treatment yet, but on some of the unadopted side roads still sees the old gas column convertions still going strong in 2015, but for how long for? Who knows.

I do think that by 2020 90-95% of all streetlighting in use will be LED in some form, by 2025 I'm guessing that the figure will be 100%.

I reckon yes and no, if you take where I live as an example then yes, LEDs will butcher everything else and fast, but for the other councils like Horwich, which borders Wigan, they don't have a singe LED in sight, still LPS and HPS, why I love Horwich if I'm honest.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:42 pm 
Random avatar

Came across three great survivors in Southwark in London on Saturday!

Lighting the car park of the Bankside House Hotel & B&B on Sumner Street, around the back of the Tate Modern Gallery in London, are two GEC Flying Saucers on concrete columns which double up as signposts. I think they look brilliant here and really in-keep with the architecture!

http://www.ukastle.co.uk/discussion/gallery/image_page.php?album_id=20&image_id=3145

http://www.ukastle.co.uk/discussion/gallery/image_page.php?album_id=20&image_id=3146

Tucked away in an alleyway off Great Guildford Street in Southwark, London, is this Eleco HW747 on a Stanton concrete column. Alex spotted this a couple of years ago and I was going to get my own shot of it shortly afterwards, but didn't get round to it, so here it is now, still standing proud in 2015!

http://www.ukastle.co.uk/discussion/gallery/image_page.php?album_id=20&image_id=3147