It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:19 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:48 pm 
Random avatar

I've just been doing my usual rounds on Streetview, following an interesting series of London Underground walks, when I came across an ESLA (yes, you read that correctly...an ESLA!) still surviving on a public street in Merton, southwest London!

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.41402 ... 312!8i6656

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:56 pm 
Random avatar

The Diageo (beer and liqueur company) HQ in Ealing is Thorn Alpha galore! There are a few Alpha 1s and 9s, and I'm pretty sure I can see a few 3s in the background as well!

On the subject of Alpha 1s, there are some wall-mounted examples surviving at the rear entrance to Crown Point Train Maintenance Depot in Norwich. I'm visiting there for work in June, so I will try and grab some shots (if I'm allowed) while I'm there!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:49 am 

Spotted yesterday, and not far from me, are these installations at Central Precinct in Chandlers Ford:

GEC Z5671 on GEC concrete column
GEC Z5674 on GEC concrete column
Revo Monitor on GEC concrete column
Revo Monitor on GEC concrete column

The Revo lanterns are the originals and the GEC lanterns are later replacements. They are fitted with mercury lamps, although I'm not sure if they are working.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:23 pm 

Here is what I believe to be a Thorn Beta 7 on a leaning unsleeved concrete column in Yorkshire, presumably running mercury despite many LED and other relatively contemporary replacements nearby. Perhaps the installation on the bridge has set back its replacement.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:11 pm 

That is actually a GEC Z8896

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:54 pm 
Site Administration

SOX is now pretty rare in Bristol and concrete columns even more so, so this sleeved Stanton 8 with Philips MA90 really is relic from the past. It's another example of the "forgotten down a cul de sac/service road" syndrome.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:38 pm 

I suppose this could be classed as a "survivor from the past", but how many of you remember this book?
Attachment:
clockboy3.jpg
clockboy3.jpg [ 871.06 KiB | Viewed 14745 times ]

Were you ever a member of the I-Spy tribe, under the auspices of "Big Chief"?
I recall there was a whole series of publications under the "I-Spy" brand, covering pretty much every schoolboy interest - apart from sex presumably!

One of my favourite titles was "I-Spy - In The Street".

Wonderfully archaic and yet a reassuringly British phenomenon, this particular edition covered all those vital ingredients to be found in any streetscene recipe.

From cobbles to wood paving, manhole covers to bus stops, this little book whilst being contemporary at the time of publication, could now be seen as a witness to the increasingly bland and boring street furniture which clutters up our urban environment.

Back then there were no PFIs, hi-viz clothing or WEEE; just lots of concrete and cast iron, all tended and painted by the local UDC.

Of course, the main thrust of my interest is the section on Lamps and Lighting.
Attachment:
clockboy1.jpg
clockboy1.jpg [ 864.81 KiB | Viewed 14745 times ]
The diagrams are of course subject to artistic licence, however some of the lighting featured does bear an uncanny resemblance to designs that would have existed at the time.
Attachment:
clockboy2.jpg
clockboy2.jpg [ 810.7 KiB | Viewed 14745 times ]

One of the drawings (C) seems to depict a Sugg Southport Group B gas lantern, whilst the concrete column (B) looks to be sporting a Revo Dalek!

The metal lamp post (D) would have been a fine example to see too.

Of course, no amount of nostalgia with reference to streetlighting would be complete without this final picture.

Now, how many of you remember carrying out this exercise?
Attachment:
clockboy.jpg
clockboy.jpg [ 923.84 KiB | Viewed 14746 times ]

I know I did! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 5:24 pm 
Random avatar

GreatNorburyStDepot wrote:

Of course, no amount of nostalgia with reference to streetlighting would be complete without this final picture.

Now, how many of you remember carrying out this exercise?
Attachment:
clockboy.jpg

I know I did! :lol:

Give us a clue....? Time clock?>

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 9:50 pm 

the dark lord wrote:
GreatNorburyStDepot wrote:

Attachment:
clockboy.jpg

Give us a clue....? Time clock?>

Yes, you are pretty much on the nose with your suggestion.

Until the mass cull in the 80s, if you put your ear to the column door (which in the case of concrete columns would not have been earthed back then, unlike in more recent times) you may have heard the sound of the timeswitch running. As I recall, the noisiest ones were the Rectangular patten Sangamo clocks. One column in my own street had such a noisy clock, it was possible to hear it trundling whilst stood next to it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:53 pm 

Suffolk in East Anglia may be going through an LED conversion, but there is plenty of survivors from the past for the enthusiast to enjoy … for the time being at least.

Brandon, on the Suffolk / Norfolk border is one small town that still holds onto some remarkable installations. All the photographs in this post were taken in May 2018.

London Road in Brandon has this now extremely rare GEC Z8401 top-entry lantern for MA/V lamps.

The lantern is now running a SON-T lamp.

Rather unusually, the power appears to be fed to the Concrete Utilities “Avenue 3DNN” column via an overhead cable.

A more distant view of the unusual installation showing how the column is fed. The next column along is a more commonly-installed (but now getting rare) GEC Z8526 on a Concrete Utilities “Highway X” column.

A close-up photograph of the GEC Z8526 on the Concrete Utilities “Highway X” column Both look in great condition for their age.

Another view of both installations together.

A final photograph of the extremely rare GEC Z8401 top-entry lantern.

Brandon High Street has a good quantity of extremely rare Phosco P151s on Concrete Utilities “Avenue 3DNN” columns.

Three more of Brandon High Street's Phosco P151s, as seen interspersed with more modern replacements.

Two close-up views of one of the Phosco P151s.

Rather amusingly for 2018, there’s even a GEC Z8526 on a Concrete Utilities “Highway X” column casual replacement in the mix.

A close-up view of the GEC Z8526 casual replacement.

The last Phosco P151 on the High Street, just before the railway station, is missing its bowl.

The missing bowl allows us to have a look inside the lantern, where the missing lamp is noticed.

The view looking back to Brandon town centre from the railway station.

Two adjacent Phosco P151s.

A close-up view of one of the Phosco P151s near the railway station.

A final photograph looking back to Brandon town centre from the railway station.

From memory, the town also has a high population of small wattage mercury lighting, mainly Eleco Silver Rays in line with Suffolk's historic preference, and more latterly GEC Z8831s. It was nice also to see a mercury-running Phosco P107 installed in the town, as these are getting rare too.

A close-up photograph of the mercury-running Phosco P107 in Saffron Close.

In summary, any enthusiasts travelling through East Anglia in the near future and with time to spare would be highly recommended to put Brandon into their sat navs!