It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:25 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 9:01 pm 

That's right they're still controlled by individual photocell despite the Street View photos being a few years old. Still looks very similar there today, despite main road installations being converted to LED nearby.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:43 pm 
Site Administration

Paianni wrote:
Spotted this pristine dual-bracket concrete column, with matching SOX lanterns in Princes Risborough, Buckinghamshire. I haven't actually been there though, so I'm not sure the 2011 image is still accurate today.

I was in the area today and unfortunately the twin bracket concrete has gone, and only recently by the looks of it. An 6m Mallatite column with Urbis Evolos running Cosmo stands in its place. The Indian Restaurant has gone as well...

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:44 pm 
Site Administration

At the Brooklands museum in Surrey, adjacent to the famous hill climb track is this Concrete Utilities "Avenue 3DNN" column with Arc 2 bracket - it was just starting to rain...

It's probably not going to be there for much longer given the split in the concrete at the top of the column.

The key for the door has also been mislaid and the door is on upside down.

The lantern is a GEC Universal Difractor Lantern Z8135B.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:13 pm 
Site Administration

Thisdiminutive cast iron column with an Eleco lantern is is Huncoat, near Accrington in Lancashire. Unfortunately when spotted yesterday, the SOX lantern has been replaced with a SON casual.

Meanwhile, in Whittington, near Oswestry, Shropshire are CU Byway X columns with top entry Beta 5s.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:49 pm 
Random avatar

In my latest trawl on Streetview following Google updating it with some 2016 views, just stumbled across this fantastic scene in Ramsgate. We have a single surviving GR150 on the main road and a GEC Z8896 on the side road (both of which are the only surviving lanterns of their kind left on both roads), complete with a Morris Traveller parked under the Z8896! I'll forgive you for thinking that this view is from the 1970s and what a fantastic view it is, still going strong in 2016!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:02 pm 
Formerly Paspie

Spotted an Alpha 1 on a double bracketed steel column, offset from a car park at Gosling Sports Park, Welwyn Garden City. It's even more visible ATM, without the vegetation.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.79162 ... 6656?hl=en

GSVs historical imagery indicates that Alpha 1s were much more common in the town in the past, and that a few had escaped casual replacement before the 2014 LED upgrade programme. Now of course, almost all of them are destined for the scrap heap.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:55 pm 

I found a Revo Silverblue:

Mounted to the side of Gatton Hall, near Redhill in Surrey.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:13 pm 

Thats the find of the year Steve. Its so important we try our best to find and preserve these gems

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:29 pm 
Random avatar

A13James wrote:
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.549681,0.696528,3a,75y,261.61h,78.1t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sXI_F9w25_tmWK7qD_pjOkQ!2e0

On a road lit by MRL6s stands this beauty. I believe it still works (running SOX). I wonder why it wasn't replaced?

In 2014, I mentioned about this GEC Z9454 on a concrete column that had been missed when the MRL 6's were installed. However in 2016, the road was relit by Amperas as part of Southend's project to install new LED lighting across the borough. The SOX lantern was replaced with a new columnn and Ampera. :(

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:53 pm 

sotonsteve wrote:
I found a Revo Silverblue:

Mounted to the side of Gatton Hall, near Redhill in Surrey.

Re: Gatton Hall "Revo SilverBlue".

Looking at this picture, the canopy of this lantern actually gives more indication of being one of Metrovick's "Trafford 2" lanterns rather than the Revo SilverBlue, although I stand prepared to be "shot down in flames" if required! :lol:

However, in referring to Mr Cornwell's great repository of all things "lantern", the "Trafford 2" model is only listed as a side entry, whilst Revo catered for both types.

That said,  if you look at the "streamlining" on the MV canopy casting, there are definite similarities with the Gatton Hall relic. Additionally, it looks like the "Trafford 2" did not possess anything like the fancy reflector system as found in the Revo product either. The Gatton example looks quite empty in this respect, although it may have been modified in the past. A further indication are the pressed horizontal ridges on the bowl.

Like I said, I may be well off the mark on this one, however in view of the recent revelations regarding Meppso's side entry GEC Z8403s which were believed to be available in T/E only, it just goes to show that there is always another lantern configuration yet to be discovered and get on Simon's "Full Range" register.

Attachments:
trafford1a.jpg
trafford1a.jpg [ 89.49 KiB | Viewed 9664 times ]