It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:04 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:11 pm 
Site Administration

Some excellent pictures there David, I think you have the monopoly on spotting the rare relics from yesterdays travels!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:01 am 

David wrote:
On passing through Great Whelnetham in Suffolk, I was so distracted by this pole bracket-mounted top-entry Phosco P107 that I missed these rare lanterns on the other side of the road!

That top entry Phosco is possibly the wierdest lantern I have seen!
The lanterns on the other side look like Falks ones - funny just how many old (and former) service stations seem to have these outside them...

Quote:
It was getting late in the day when I arrived, but the bright sunlight was still shining on this Siemens Kuwait lantern and also dramatising the clouds behind. The harsh lighting seemed to enhance the presence of this magnificent beast!

I love that picture!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:56 pm 
Random avatar

Seriously, my jaw nearly fell on the floor when I saw that picture with the Beta 9s! I'm so shocked to see so many surviving there, as I didn't think they were ever very popular, and most would've been replaced anyway.

They are my favourite lantern ever! (Along with the Alpha 3 :D) Whilst I think it's nice for rare lanterns to be left in service to enjoy, if any do get removed, I wouldn't mind having one my way! :P

I wonder in other parts of the country, how many other rare lanterns such as Beta 1s, Old style Beta 2s, Beta 3s, Beta 6s etc still survive! Not too sure, but that photo has given me hope!! :D

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:23 pm 

I have to say that picture of the Kuwait is rather good. A bright object against a dull sky always comes out well. Dull objects in front of a bright sky just produce a silhouette.

Here's another oldie soldiering on. As the SOX lighting is itself getting on a bit I'm surprised this mercury lantern is still in situ.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:29 pm 

That Kuwait image is brilliant, I wonder if it works still, if it does then excellent.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:18 pm 

I'm going to echo Indust, and say I'd be interested in a Geared Beta 9 if any of those come down! :D

Obviously they look better in-situ, but with everywhere seemingly having an "efficiency drive" going on, and the phase-out of mercury before 2016, I would well expect a lot of the interesting stuff will be going soon.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:33 pm 

Indust wrote:
Whilst I think it's nice for rare lanterns to be left in service to enjoy, if any do get removed, I wouldn't mind having one my way!

mazeteam wrote:
I'm going to echo Indust, and say I'd be interested in a Geared Beta 9 if any of those come down!

I'm afraid I don't know anyone in Suffolk, else I'd put in a request for one myself, alongside one of those Eleco two-forties!

As I seem to have done alright at finding old stuff recently (most of them from gratefully-received tip-offs I should add!), I thought I would hunt down Southend's GEC Z8432 Viatrons after work yesterday. I last saw these while on a day trip back in the early 2000s, although I had no idea what they were and, not knowing their heritage, even thought they looked pretty awful at the time!

At the very western end of Chalkwell Esplanade, there is a cul-de-sac used for seafront parking by day trippers, and it still has some Viatrons on well-maintained cast-iron poles.

A close-up of one of the GEC Viatron lanterns, which are all painted the same colour as the columns.

It looks like the original 'brackets' were 180-degree semicircles which would have had top-entry lanterns on them, and these have been cut in half with a short extension welded onto them to accommodate the new Viatrons in the 1950s!

The view above originally had four Viatrons, but one has been casually replaced.

And looking west from the same spot reveals another two Viatrons, bringing the total number of Viatrons in this street to five.

Another street in Southend - The Leas - has three Viatrons in a row, bringing the total found yesterday to eight. There may be a few more of course!

Last edited by David on Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:29 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

:o  :o  Fantastic find David!!  :D

It proves that you can get SOX 'heritage' lanterns.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:10 pm 

for anybody interested in the location, there is a post i put into the google streetview thread about 2-3 weeks ago.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:32 am 

Alex wrote:
:o  :o  Fantastic find David!!  :D

It proves that you can get SOX 'heritage' lanterns.

SOX? They were originally mercury lanterns. I assume they've been converted to SON now.

If you check the town on the Francis Frith website then you'll see several shots from the 1950s which show the decorated brackets with their original pendant lanterns. It looks like the town was relit in the mid 1950s when the concrete columns were installed with Viatrons - I assume the decorated columns were altered at the same time.

All the best,
Simon

Profile  Personal album