It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:52 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Motorway Lighting
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:37 pm 
Site Administration

Last week Phosco152 wrote:
Phosco152 wrote:
Work to turn the M3 into a smart motorway between junction 4 and 2 - its junction with the M25 - has started. It won't be long before the geared SOX GEC "bricks" and their columns are removed.

Taken last weekend heading north on the M3 and approaching the M25, these installations will witness only a few more sunrises.  :cry:

The latest update as of today is that the central reservation lighting is now out of use. The columns have had their doors and supply cables removed. The red cross of death is also marked on them. The verge lighting on the slip road from the M25 clockwise to M3 south still appears intact - doors still on and no red crosses, so may still be in use.

I expect to see the columns gone when I pass through the junction in a weeks time.

As expected the columns in the central reservation have now gone from the M3 at J2 where it meets the M25. Absolutely no trace of them ever being there but the slip/link road examples are still intact, although it is unclear if they still work.

This was the view at dawn today, not the best image due to the light levels and the image is from a dash cam. The bridge in the background of this image can just be made out in my earlier shot, the mobile phone mast on the left of that image is between the 2nd and 3rd columns on the left of this image.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:57 pm 

Lighting upgrade works are currently in progress on parts of the CW and ACW sections of the M60, near Stockport in Greater Manchester. The route which was widened and reconfigured in 2006, was for the most part re-lit with Philips SON-T Traffic visions on verge side 12m columns. Up to 2006, most of the lighting was on the central reservation, using MA60s on Petitjean columns.

Now it seems that the Traffic Visions themselves are on their way out. New columns with Luma LED lanterns have appeared alongside them. The works seem to be concentrated from J4 to J5. I managed to take a snap of the current works over the weekend.

In addition to the above location, the stretch at J3 for Cheadle / Wilmslow A34 which is currently lit with Alpha 4s, is also getting upgraded presumably to LED.

Attachments:
m60led1.JPG
m60led1.JPG [ 2.16 MiB | Viewed 8067 times ]

Last edited by GreatNorburyStDepot on Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:20 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

Some archaic clips from Thames News (1980s):

Clip 1: Former A102 (M) Blackwall tunnel approach with Alpha 6s, Alpha 9s and GEC Z9554s

Clip 2: Former A40 (M) with its original SOX lanterns

Clip 3: M1 catenary lighting at Jct 8

Clip 4: Dartford tunnel

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:23 pm 

Alex wrote:
Some archaic clips from Thames News (1980s):

Clip 1: Former A102 (M) Blackwall tunnel approach with Alpha 6s, Alpha 9s and GEC Z9554s

Clip 2: Former A40 (M) with its original SOX lanterns

Clip 3: M1 catenary lighting at Jct 8

Clip 4: Dartford tunnel

Hi Alex,

Those videos are great, nice to see all the old cars.  What make/model where the catenary lights? I have one in my garden, it is a Phosco P415 and is very big and heavy, then again it does house two 180W lamps :)

Regards,

Andrew.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:27 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

Thanks Andrew - it's a fantastic channel with plenty of old London Underground / rail footage, which is how I first came across it.

They are indeed Phosco P415 lanterns. Only a small section of the M1 south of the junction still have these.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:27 pm 
Formerly Paspie

Herts now has some of the first fully LED GSJs, with the A41 Kings Langley and Berkhamsted bypass junctions getting them on the mainline, sliproads and connecting roads. Some of the A1(M) junctions through Hatfield are going to have massive contrast, with the existing SOX on the mainline and sliproads combined with LED on the roundabouts and connecting roads.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 12:20 pm 
Random avatar

Interesting but very general FOI request here.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... ing-654520

H.A. reckon the approximate average cost of installing a new lamp, column and cable is approx £2000.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 9:54 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

Thanks for sharing that FOI request - very informative.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:48 pm 

Hi all,

I have just got back from Leeds.  It was nice to see whilst driving up the M62 a collection of MA60s still in service.  I fear that their days may be numbered as the M62 is becoming a smart motorway.

Regards,

Andrew.

Attachments:
20150606_165347.jpg
20150606_165347.jpg [ 2.51 MiB | Viewed 7528 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:12 pm 
Formerly Paspie

I've just been back from a trip to Guernsey and the Thorpe slip SOX is still intact mostly, perhaps been cut back a bit due to the works. Still nothing in the central res.

I also see the M25 hasn't had any LED upgrades yet, though the Trafficvisions around Heathrow are looking rather ill-maintained, some have slipped upside down on their brackets (screws not tight enough) and some columns have blown sideways. If the Heathrow runway extension gets the go-ahead that'll be the time these will be replaced.