It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:16 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Motorway Lighting
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 3:39 pm 
Site Administration

The southern section of the M3 as it joins the M27 is having a concrete central reservation installed. This has seen the removal of the existing lighting - or rather what was left of it. Much was removed following the collapse of a column several years ago.

The scene today in the winter gloom, with a few headless columns waiting to be removed and the last intact columns in the distance.

By chance this was almost the exact same location I pictured almost 10 years ago.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 7:34 pm 

I'm not sure why they decided to remove the lanterns from those columns. Remains to be seen if they actually replace those columns, or because they are unaffected by the barrier replacement just leave them. Even if they replace all the central reservation columns dating from 1992, there are still the newer columns from 1994 of which many have been chopped down because they are also flange-plate mounted and structurally failed. The good old planted columns are fine.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:42 pm 

I noticed today that on the M27 junction 5 westbound entry slip road the Urbis ZX3s (which haven't worked for a while having burnt to extinction) have all been lantern swapped for Indo Air2 lanterns.

Previously, this area of National Highways had been using Holophane V-Max for both relighting schemes, lantern swaps and casual replacements. This area of National Highways merged with the adjacent area covering Kent and Sussex back in late 2021, and it would seem they have adopted their previous preferences of the Indo Air2 over the Holophane V-Max. One possible reason for this is a design flaw with the V-Max, in which it is said birds landing on the lanterns have got their legs trapped and become injured or even lost their legs. Not great for environmental credentials.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:34 pm 
Site Administration

The SOX lighting on the M1 at J23a near East Midlands Airport must surely be on borrowed time.

The view tonight - not the best due to rain and dash cam footage.

A few potential failures, but the majority still working.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 2:51 pm 

At the bottom end of the M3, where the new concrete barrier has gone in they have started installing new columns. To date, they have only fitted the columns that bolt directly on top of the concrete barrier. These have a 12m mounting height, and are grey painted Fabrikat columns with very short and webbed brackets. The lanterns have not been fitted yet. The current spacing of columns is irregular, because none have yet been installed in the locations where the concrete barrier splays out into two parallel concrete barriers, and I assume taller columns (achieving the same mounting height) are going to be installed between the two parallel barriers. Spacing wise, the new columns appear to be nearly 50% further apart than the old columns, which is good, because the old spacings were excessive.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 1:30 pm 
Site Administration

The M69 J2 interchange with the M6, still incredibly retains MA60s on massive twin bracket columns. I can't think that they still work.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 4:03 pm 

At the southern end of the M3, where central reservation works have been taking place the new columns have been receiving Philips Luma gen2 lanterns.

Now, for something unusual. Where there is a single wide concrete barrier, lighting columns have been mounted on top of this barrier. Around existing sign gantry bases though the barrier changes from a single wide barrier to two parallel conventional width concrete barriers with a gap between. For weeks the columns mounted to the single wide barrier have been in place but those where there are two parallel barriers have been missing. I had been wondering, would they locally infill between the barriers to create foundations for the new columns? Or, would they use longer columns, but potentially have to get custom columns with the doors accessible above barrier height? Turns out neither. Instead, at each column location they have placed a single precast concrete barrier unit in between the two parallel runs of barrier, and mounted a column to each. So in effect, there are three concrete barriers at these locations!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 5:17 pm 

Something interesting I observed of the local INDO AIR2 lanterns retrofitted to some columns at M27 Junction 5, even though they were switched off today the LEDs were still letting off a slight but noticeable glow. I've seen this in other LEDs before, though not to this level of brightness nor in street lighting.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 3:31 pm 
Random avatar

Phosco152 wrote:
The M69 J2 interchange with the M6, still incredibly retains MA60s on massive twin bracket columns. I can't think that they still work.

All were recently replaced with what seems to be ASD Highway Diamonds.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.43885 ... ?entry=ttu

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:50 pm 
Random avatar

M4 near Port Talbot/ Swansea has lost all but a few of its Sox Philips MA60
As of April 8th 2023 (the last time I’ve been there). Two columns with Indal Arc also remained.The one that have survived could have since been replaced now.
https://maps.app.goo.gl/pemt6ZTxYzBLsXin6?g_st=ic
https://maps.app.goo.gl/ZniReNBhn1xg9Gfe7?g_st=ic
The lanterns that replaced them are Schreder Ampera Evo. (The new version of Scherder Ampera). Because of this you could tell which lanterns are older and which are newer.

Back on 13th April 2022 most of the lanterns weren’t working at night and large sections were switched off.