It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:54 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Motorway Lighting
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 9:22 pm 

I still have my P415 stored in the garage, but I have never lit it!

There are only a handful of these with collectors, all came from the M1, but via two different contractors. My came via McCann's, the others came via Balfour Beatty.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 11:58 am 

Claire wrote:
I still have my P415 stored in the garage, but I have never lit it!

There are only a handful of these with collectors, all came from the M1, but via two different contractors. My came via McCann's, the others came via Balfour Beatty.

Hi Claire,

They are quite a well designed lantern. Care must be taken when opening the gear compartment as the lamp holder is attached to it. If you forget to remove the lamp and open the compartment then there will be a big crack :-(

Are there still phosco P415s in service?

Regards,

Andrew.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 5:03 pm 

The ones on the M1 inside the M25 are probably still there. It is believed the ones on the A4 and A316 in west London have been removed, as some if not all the catenary lighting here has been subject to replacements.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 12:07 pm 
Random avatar

Quote:
I can confirm that the SOX lighting on the slip roads at M25 J21 are being replaced by new columns with outreach brackets and Urbis Sapphires (similar to those specified during the widening works). J21a is untouched so far, save for a few Iridium casual reps, I'll keep an eye on them for any further activity.

I drove through junctions 27-21 today and can confirm that the slip road SOX lighting between J25 and J23 are being replaced with Sapphires of the same description you've given above.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 8:52 am 
Site Administration

Lighting on the M1 is now much reduced with the removal of lighting on Northamptonshire section as previously mentioned in this topic. However at J15 for the A43 there are some new columns with Amperas.

Although the concrete central reservation had seen the mainline lighting removed, some sections of verge mounted lighting at the old crossover points had still been in place. These have also now been removed.

At J17, the M45 slips have had their lighting removed. The west bound link used to look like this.

At J19, the Catthorpe interchange with the M6, Urbis Evolos have been installed as the new permanent lighting. The columns between those fitted with Evolos, are temporary columns fitted during the remodeling works.

SOX lighting still survives at J23/24 East Midland Airport. This is the view looking north with gear in body MA50s -135W SOX.

Of interest is that casual replacements are using small shoe versions, with remote gear. In this image, the 2 lanterns marked with red lines are small shoe MA50s (2 bowl clips), where as the twin bracket column with the yellow line actually has 2 small shoe MA60s - 3 bowl clips.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:49 pm 
Formerly Paspie

For years I had assumed that the M5 past Birmingham was the last mainline motorway to receive SOX lighting, in 1991. Turns out that the moniker may in fact go to the A74(M) Junction 22 spur, opened in late 1992. The rest of the A74(M) seemed to have used plenty of SOX in the form of Alpha 4s and MA50s at the entrances and the termini of sliproads, the last being installed in 1995. Some have even been replaced with 90W Tamcourts.

The last bulk replacement of motorway lighting involving SOX, may well just be the northbound onslip at A1(M) Junction 6. Three brand new MA50s on galvanised steel columns, installed between 2013 and 2015.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:20 pm 
Site Administration

Spotted by sotonsteve at the end of last year and captured on dashcam today (so quality not great), are changes to the lighting at the M25 J12/M3 J2 Thorpe interchange. There has been some modification of the lighting on the M25 clockwise (wb) to M3 south, slip.

The Philips MAs are still there at the start of the slip and were working in November, but immediately past the footbridge which crosses the carriageway, 3 temporary columns have been installed high up on the left hand side of the cutting, each fitted with SON Sapphires, post top mounted. This image shows the 2nd (left) and 3rd columns (above blue sign). The 3rd lantern is dayburning, the 1st column is behind the camera. GEC bricks background right.

At the point the slip splits for Southampton and Richmond, three of the original columns have had their GEC bricks removed, and been fitted with SON Sapphires.

This image shows (left) the 1st and 2nd columns. Third lantern is behind the gantry and is dayburning.

The GEC lanterns behind the gantry on the left, weren't working in November 2016.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:50 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

Thanks for the update. Any idea why they didn't go for LEDs?

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:03 pm 
Site Administration

I suspect it's all temporary and will all be removed and replaced with new columns and lanterns when the works are complete. The original columns retrofitted with Sapphires and the remaining columns with Bricks, all have yellow crosses on them - presumably for removal.

As you say it will be interesting to see what the new lanterns are. The M25 has remained stubbornly SON, probably not helped by the DBFO maintenance contract which means little incentive to replace SON lighting with LED.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:18 am 
Founder
Random avatar

I travelled along the M1 from Brent Cross to the M25 last night for the first time in ages. The Alpha 8s are still there, albeit some are out. I remember reading reports on here a while back that a lot of the SOX lighting north of Watford was not working; I can confirm that all SOX lighting is working perfectly, including the short stretch of catenary.

Profile  Personal album