It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:39 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Motorway Lighting
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:54 pm 

Been itching to post this for a while.....

Since UKASTLE went down, i've been working in Manchester allot.

What got me about the lighting on the M60, 602, 61 and 66 was the large amount of failed lanterns. Both SON and SOX. I'd say nearly 35% of all total lanterns on all of the motorways is out.

Ironically it's the SON lanterns which are ZX3's which have the most failures. The SOX lighting (whch is plentiful) is around 80% working. Can't be a wiring issue as no more than 2 columns in a row are unlit. Loads have one lantern unlit.

Also, went down the M1 the other week and saw the 13 mile roadworks where the lighting is being moved to the verge and the fitting of solid barriers. What lanterns are they? Some have 2 arms in a sort of ''hug'' style.

Originally Posted: 01-09-2009, 11:28:32 pm

Profile  Personal album 

Post subject: Re: Motorway Lighting
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:55 pm 
Site Administration

I know the brackets you mean on the M1 can't for the life of me remember if the lanterns were Iridiums or Sapphires though.

Looks like some relamping is required up your way then.

The part night trial on the M27 between J8 and 7 continues with a least a partial relamp carried out on the ZX4s around J8 as a lot of the failed lamps have now been fixed.

Originally Posted: 02-09-2009, 04:55:55 am

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:56 pm 

I get a feeling all these ZX3's are on their original lamps after being fitted. Makes sense with all the failures.

I can imagine the SOX sections will be replaced with ZX3's in the future. The M62 J20-21 SOX section has a fair amount of failures which will be left till the upgrade at a guess.

Must admit, some sections the SOX is better in adverse conditions and some sections the SON is better. It's weird as some of it is really glaring and some dim as night.

Originally Posted: 02-09-2009, 10:34:44 pm

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:56 pm 
Site Administration

If they are central reservation mounted, then maintenance is more difficult. The HA are also gradually replacing steel barriers with solid concrete ones. It may be that if the columns are 20 years or so old, they may be getting replaced soon combined with barrier work.

If they are newer, then its just a case of planning the lane closures for the work. The HA will want to get maximum life out of the lamps given the work required to change them, so I suspect they deliberately wait until around 30% have failed. I suspect if they are to be relamped it will be done soon before the winter.

Originally Posted: 03-09-2009, 03:37:33 pm

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:57 pm 

Heartbreaking news for the northerners.

The MA60'S on the A1 Doncaster are going. Already, new columns with lanterns have appeared at junction 38. The central reservation columns are still there for the moment. Don't know about the sox tunnel floods under the bridge but I would like to save one or two if anyone knows who to ask.

Originally Posted: 07-09-2009, 04:56:04 pm

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:58 pm 
Random avatar

2009 the death of ma60s!   :evil:
Midlands has lost most of its ma60's
Not a good year!

Originally Posted: 07-09-2009, 05:09:14 pm

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:58 pm 

Yeah. Though it will mean i've got a good chance of having one of my own as i'll miss the one of Mazeteam's when he gets it back. Just got to preserve one. Even better if it's one from the A1.

One of the last surviving MA60 lit areas is large parts of the Greater Manchester motorway network. Don't know how long they have but there's allot of them from the 70's on the M602 and other roads.

Originally Posted: 07-09-2009, 05:16:53 pm

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:59 pm 

Stelmer wrote:
Heartbreaking news for the northerners.

The MA60'S on the A1 Doncaster are going. Already, new columns with lanterns have appeared at junction 38. The central reservation columns are still there for the moment. Don't know about the sox tunnel floods under the bridge but I would like to save one or two if anyone knows who to ask.

Oh 'eck!

I once counted how many columns there were and made a rough estimate at how many MA's there were there... I cant remember the result though!. TBH the highways agency should be more concerned with bringing that bit of the A1 up to 3 lane motorway standard now as that bit between donny and ferrybridge is not pleasant.

As for obtaining stuff... you may be lucky, as there is a works unit just above the A1 as it snakes around doncaster... I can't remember between which junctions it is now, but as you go past you can see wood poles with floodlights attached and netting as fencing - with any luck, the old lanterns would be put in there for a few days after being taken down.

As for manchesters motorways, I too have noticed the outages. I don't even need to be on the M60 to see the lights that are out, just cycling along an overbridge gives a good enough view. And last year I was going to blackburn with mates and their parents along the M65(?) and I noticed the outages (although I didn't pay an awful lot of attention going both ways as I was too taken with the view westbound towards winter hill, where that big TV mast is that's lit up like a christmas tree at night, and the view beyond towards the coast)

Originally Posted: 12-09-2009, 01:45:55 am

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:00 pm 

I know that the Forgotton Motorway - the M53 is a field-day worth of failed MA's.

Outside ASDA in Huddersfield a MRL6 is smashed after a veichle ploughed into it, its remains are the base plate and the fitting grub screewes to the bracket.

Originally Posted: 12-09-2009, 01:58:50 am

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:00 pm 

Part night motorway lighting trials have been ongoing for about 6 months now. It seems to be a case of so far so good when it comes to weighing up the pros and cons. The winter months are coming though, but given that part night motorway lighting switches off between midnight and 5am, and that even on the longest day of the year over four of these five hours are in darkness, I expect the positive outcome of the trials to continue.

Now we need to educate the HA into not being so ridiculous when it comes to overlighting motorways in the first place. If 250w SON is adequate, they need to realise that 400w, or increasingly commonly now, 600w SON is excessive.

Originally Posted: 26-09-2009, 08:51:54 pm

Profile  Personal album