It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:05 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:01 pm 

Phosco152 wrote:
Ryde Esplanade station on the Isle of Wight still has (just) a solitary Eleco railway lantern on matching Eleco aluminium column - which still shows signs of red Network South East branding - applied almost 30 years ago.

Further to the above survivor, I can now report that the Eleco lantern and its column is still in-situ at Ryde Esplanade, however it is now minus its bowl and lamp.
Attachment:
P1040648a.JPG
P1040648a.JPG [ 133.5 KiB | Viewed 59857 times ]

Hopefully this survives in someone's collection, although it may have been lost to the sea.

Both the Pierhead and Esplanade platforms look pretty run down since my last visit, although proposals for some badly needed investment may soon come to fruition. At the Pierhead end, the Thorn Beta 79s remain in place on the timber awnings, although I'm not sure if they remain in use.
Attachment:
P1040597 (2).JPG
P1040597 (2).JPG [ 370.17 KiB | Viewed 59854 times ]

Aside from the lights, the ex LT 1938 tube stock continues to trundle back and forth between Shanklin and Ryde Pier head, however the elements and a dwindling source of spares are taking their toll on these classic vehicles, with the exterior now beginning to look careworn. That said, they continue to perform their high speed gymnastics on route, much to the amusement of young (and not so young) passengers!

I think these are great trains. Long may they continue to roll!
Attachment:
P1040641 (2).JPG
P1040641 (2).JPG [ 2.96 MiB | Viewed 59857 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:18 pm 

TRT Aspects appear to be the current lantern of choice for South Western Railway. Some have been installed on the London bound side of Eastleigh station, and I recall seeing another station with them recently but can't remember which.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:13 pm 
Site Administration

SWR have now converted all column based platform lighting from Basingstoke to Salisbury, and also Winchester to Portsmouth via Eastleigh and Fareham, from discharge to LED. Smaller stations have motion sensors which turns off the majority platform lighting if no one is present.

Some under canopy lighting has also been changed from fluorescent to LED. Andover is all LED with dimming and motion sensors. Salisbury on the other hand just has LED lighting at the outer ends of the canopies.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:26 pm 
Site Administration

The pandemic has meant I haven't been doing my regular trips along the Salisbury - Bath - Bristol line for the last 18 months. However a RailEx allowed me to catch up on old haunts and spot a few other relics.

Bradford on Avon station car park had been lit with remote geared MA50s on twin brackets columns (and a further newer, gear in head MA90) at the west end of the car park for at least the last 35 years. Unusual in this respect, and also for not succumbing to SON. However the SOX lighting is now no more with LED lanterns now fitted to the same brackets.

At Bristol Temple Meads, a Concrete Utilities Midway X has been left forgotten for probably the best part of 60 years. Fellow Ukastle member Indust, got a better picture of it in 2013, but the link now no longer works.

The recent track remodelling of Bristol Temple Meads and Bristol East Junction, has seen the column removed.

The long abandoned Westbury Cement works have a number of Thorn Alpha 4s and MA50s visible from the Berks and Hants line as you approach Heywood Road junction and the station. However within the cement works siding complex itself is this 10m Thorn aluminium column with twin Alpha 4s.

Further east along the Berks and Hants line, the Theale oil terminal has some integrally geared Alpha 3s. Like the previous image this was taken through the carriage window, so not the best quality.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:22 pm 
Site Administration

Spotted today at Templecombe station in Somerset, is this info/maintenance plate. All the columns had similar. I've never seen these plates anywhere else on the network.

Trouble is the lanterns are now actually LED TRT Aspects, which would offer a considerable power saving over the original lanterns. Many columns at the ends of platforms on SWR stations (fitted with Aspects), also now have PIR sensors on them, so if there is no one around, the Aspects dim down.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:47 pm 
Site Administration

Back in 2010 I wrote, following a visit to Scarborough by Michael Portillo in Great British Railway Journeys:

Phosco152 wrote:
Some screen shots from iPlayer of the Scarborough installation.

Well following in Mr P's footsteps, but travelling in far more luxury on the Midland Pullman (which has made the classic InterCity 125/HST an even better travel experience - for which was already the best train ever to run on the UK network), I can report that the fluorescent platform lighting is still in use.

A messy jumble of other poles have gone up, some with LED lighting and a "technology upgrade".

The 158s got replaced by 185s, and now by loco/Mk5 coach push pull sets.

Along the seafront are these unusual installations. The base/gear compartment is metal as are the brackets and finials, but the main pole is wooden.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:50 pm 
Site Administration

Transport for Wales (TfW) maybe investing over a £1Bn in electrification of the Cardiff valley lines and hundreds of millions in new rolling stock, but practically all of their stations still use SON lighting.

Cardiff Central station has SON under canopy lighting, whilst Llanharan station west of Cardiff, has really gone over the top with lanterns, all of them 70W SON. Time for rethink...

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:43 pm 
Random avatar

Redhill Train Station car park has some rare in UK Philips HGS201.
One has been replaced by LED.
https://maps.app.goo.gl/841d6dCxYs97mBfb7?g_st=ic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:58 pm 
Site Administration

Spotted yesterday at Grantham, and posted here as it seems to be on railway land, (although it looks to be now on the wrong side of the fence and maybe on abandoned land to a derelict industrial area), is a main road, arched finned concrete column with what looks like a GEC Clearmain style lantern. The bowl is missing, but there is still a metal shield, presumeably to prevent glare to the road bridge above. It is not visible on Google Maps/Steetview from the road above, but is visible in this Youtube video at 16.19 on the far left.

I've taken a screengrab of the video. Note the shadow of the bracket and remains of the lantern on the bridge parapet wall.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 4:37 am 
Site Administration

East of Manchester Piccadilly at Guide Bridge on the line to Huddersfield, is an incredibly rare Concrete Utilities Avenue 4D column, still with intact bracket although the lantern type is unclear. The double stepped base unit distinguishes a 4D from the newer and more common 3D column. Whilst examples of the latter still arrive, the 4D is probably extinct in terms of highway lighting.

Presumably it was originally installed to light the sidings to the left. With electrification works taking place as part of the Trans-Pennine Route Upgrade of the line from Manchester to York, it's days are surely numbered and it is likely to be cut down before the wires are installed.

Screen grab from this video at 12.03.

Profile  Personal album