It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:13 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:27 pm 

I've noticed new lanterns at Pontefract Monkhill and Knottingley, they look like a side entry version of the humble 'Flying Saucer' but only smaller and run off Metal Hadiale.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:54 am 

I'll have to have a look in the summer months... do you mean the octagonal flying saucers, or the rounded 'fish bowl' types?

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:08 am 

Round fish bowl type but flattened.

I have also found at the 'back' entrance to Ponte Monkhill and old concrete platform column sadly no lantern.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:55 am 

Rotherham Central has Metal Hadile replacing the SON lamps but in the same lanterns, same for Penistone with the Urbis Saturns being slowly converted from SON to MH.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:22 pm 
Random avatar

Blackpool North has some weird MH lanterns at the front of the station where the taxi ranks are. I've never seen their type anywhere else but they're very ugly and not really very good at lighting the area either, I suspect they are are only 70w but on 8m columns! I've been searching for some pictures online but can't find any sadly. Have to try and get a snap because they really are hideous! The previous lanterns were more stylish Gamma 3s running SON. The approach road is brilliant however as it's still lit by these:

(Photo from http://paulharris.fotopic.net/)

Philips MA30s on Stanton and Staveley 18 columns! These installations used to light part of the town centre bypass as well which was built at the same time as the station in 1974. AFAIK they always ran SON from the start, they certainly have done as far back as I can remember (early 80s). Blackpool were pioneers of using SON lighting so this is very plausible.  These lanterns are group-switched with the taxi rank lanterns and they often all dayburn together and are sometimes all switched off together at night (dodgy timeclock?). As you can see the columns are in excellent condition. I think the council used to maintain them as they have Blackpool Council numbering on the columns however they use the numbering style used in the 1970s which has now been painted out and replaced on all other columns across the town. This leads me to believe they've been Network Rail maintained for some time. Another clue to this is that the same columns on the bypass were all sleeved with MRL6s in 1993, if the columns on the station approach had still been council-maintained they would have no doubt had the same treatment. This was the only location MA30s were ever installed in in Blackpool so they were always a bit of an oddity!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:31 am 

I think the sidings that can be seen from the platforms at North station have some interesting lights.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:30 pm 
Random avatar

mazeteam wrote:
I think the sidings that can be seen from the platforms at North station have some interesting lights.

Oh yeah, I forgot about those! Yeah, they are pretty old and a lot of them are mounted in a catenary fashion. They often dayburn too. Some are still mercury, the rest are SON but they all used to be mercury at one time. If you want a good view by of them by road go to Enfield Road in the Claremont area of town as this road runs right next to the section with the lanterns in question. Have you got any idea who made them mazeteam?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:09 am 

I don't know, but I found these two pics with them in view. In the foreground are the only 'new' trains to the Northern fleet (formerly (First) North Western, and Northern Spirit/Arriva) for over 15 years

the lanterns look in better condition than the spanwire poles!

http://timblazey.fotopic.net/p56418324.html
http://timblazey.fotopic.net/p56418323.html

edit: gramma6, if you're round the station, keep an eye out for a foreigner
http://northernrailways.co.uk/forum/dow ... php?id=235
it's been nicknamed "bingo"!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:38 am 

Most of Brighouse's railway station is lit mainly by SON but there is only one MH lamp and thats on the Huddersfield side platform ramp. Brockholes only has two lanterns one SON and the other MH, im wondering if Metro or Northern is moving from SON to MH lamps as i remember a few years ago Castleford and Stocksmoor stations were both lit by Mercury Turtles the only ones left in West Yorkshire sadly these have gone. A GEC Z88whatever-the-rest-of-the-code-was is still in situ outside of Stocksmoor staion although it runs sadly on SON, pity that MH wasn't used.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:21 pm 

The GEC Turtles were still at castleford when I passed through on a diverted Transpennine train a few weeks back. I've waited at castleford before now and had a look at the lights - some are either flatglass or are missing their bowls! But they all run SON, except on the 'dead' platform that's not in use (those could still be mercury). There's a Z8691 (geared 8896) in the carpark outside the station. All of these will likely get swept away if/when castleford interchange gets built...

Profile  Personal album