It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:26 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:37 pm 
Site Administration

On a trip to London on the train today for work, I spotted a surprising number of interesting lighting.

In a back garden in Laverstoke, near Salisbury I spotted a metal canopied GEC Z567X on a 2m column, lamp type unknown!

The freight sidings at Andover contain about half a dozen (unused) shovel floodlight on wood poles. At the west end of the station, the London bound platform still has 2 GEC Z8260 fluorescent lanterns on 2 columns lighting the platform ramp. Unfortunately, all the other columns sport ZX1s.

At the disused Eli Lilly site just outside Basingstoke station is a 8m concrete column still with original bracket with an intact deep bowl Thorn Alpha 9.

In the carriage stabling sidings at Basingstoke, there appear to be numerous what look to be, Beta 1s, some running I presume mercury lamps, but more than 1 with a CFL lamp in it.

Carriage stabling sidings nearer London had long outreach columns spanning 2 tracks (a bit like US traffic light arms but smaller) sporting ZXU1s on "C" brackets so that the lanterns were side entry mounted beneath the arm but directly over each of the 2 tracks.

A similar arrangement was employed just outside Waterloo but this time using flat glass Abacus Lighting Triviums.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:18 am 

Look what Castleford's Railway Station still retains GEC 'Turtles'. I think they still operate on MBF.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:14 pm 

Great Ayton in North Yorkshire still retains a couple of GEC gearless version of the Z8691 where as the rest have ZX3's fitted.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:38 pm 
Site Administration

I had previously mentioned about fluorescent platform lighting still surviving at Reading station soon to be swept away with the rebuild. In Rail magazine I found a modern image of them. Photo by Paul Bigland.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:47 pm 

I wonder if kindly asking Network Rail for a couple of these lanterns, that they may allow a couple to be preserved. Bradford Interchange use to have them too that is until about 3 years ago when they were changed.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:17 pm 
Random avatar

I don't know if it has been mentioned, but Shrewsbury train station has extremely deep bowled what I think are sodium lanterns on the brick wall towards the Wolverhampton side. The first one has been replaced with an Albany but it wouldn't surprise me if the others were all out of action now. There are no pictures that I can see on google, apart from one where you can see the single Albany!!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:56 am 

I wouldn't mind one of those Fluorescent lanterns! I too had noticed that picture in the magazine, and Paul Bigland is actually a contributor on a forum which myself and USL are members of.
Scarborough station has a load of them out on the excursion bays... I thought they'd go when First TPE refurbished the station, as happened with the two left in Hull Paragon, but they didn't.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:01 pm 

I think TPE kept the ones at Scarborough because of the 1950s/60s british holiday destinations and wanting to keep that style - same at Bridlington, there are the two originals at the front of the station, but one sadly has a bit of brown electrical tape holding the bowl on.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:14 pm 
Site Administration

Spotted on the front cover of a recent copy of Rail magazine is this abandoned fluorescent lantern possibly on a CU column, outside Teignmouth station in Devon. It looks like the useable length of the platform has been reduced long ago. NR new measurement train on the right. Photo by Ron Westwater.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:50 pm 

Looks like it has spun on the bracket some point... and the vegetation will soon hide the lantern from view completely.
I wonder what the Flying Banana was doing over there...

Profile  Personal album