It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:34 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:24 pm 
Site Administration

This superb photo from 1989 of Par station in Cornwall (courtesy of RAIL magazine) shows a Concrete Utilities Midway X twin bracket column with a pair of Revo Prefect lanterns.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:28 am 
Random avatar

Nice picture - St Austell station retained some of these until about 2 years ago.
Par station for now at least has Urbis lamps running MH.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:06 pm 
Random avatar

There is one still remaining in Par as far as I know, but not on the station platform.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:37 am 
Random avatar

Hopefully its still there.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:37 pm 
Site Administration

FGW seem to be replacing lighting at some of the stations immediately west of Plymouth.

St Germans and Liskeard stations have had their existing Abacus fold down painted columns replaced with new galvanised Abacus columns with Urbis Axias.

This twin bracket column was pictured yesterday at Liskeard. Not sure what that round disc is under the canopy next to the LED optic is though - new type of radio node with flat antenna?

And now back to the past... 3months ago I wrote:

Phosco152 wrote:
This superb photo from 1989 of Par station in Cornwall (courtesy of RAIL magazine) shows a Concrete Utilities Midway X twin bracket column with a pair of Revo Prefect lanterns.

Alpha mike wrote:
There is one still remaining in Par as far as I know, but not on the station platform.

Well this is what Par station looks like now, Urbis ZX3 lanterns and the buildings have been painted.

The CU column that Alpha Mike mentioned is still there, but unlike the station example, is fitted with a Thorn Beta 4.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:05 pm 
Random avatar

Nice pictures Phosco152, I also noticed the new Urbis LED lamps at Liskeard station they were put up around May/June.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:51 am 

What Diss Station have done with their old Fluorescent fittings!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/27045884@N05/15063597530/

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:29 pm 
Site Administration

Network SouthEast lives!

The Abacus fold down columns this lighting this pedestrian footbridge have been repainted and it looks like some left over paint has been used. The columns are on railway land.

For those members who aren't aware, one of the trademarks of Network SouthEast branding used by BR in the late 1980s was red station lamp posts. The columns in the picture are the exact same shade of NSE red.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:17 pm 

One of the good things I remeber about my daily train travel in Manchester in the early 90s, was that there was still plenty of vintage lighting equipment still in use. There was the standard GEC Z8260s which were everywhere and I did like these lanterns a lot. I think these followed on from the original gas lamps which had still been in use up to the 70s in some areas.

You could generally tell what sort of area it was, as you trundled along. The lamps at Fairfield station on the Rosehill to Piccadilly line were always being smashed by vandals, as were those at Hyde North - still at least it kept the stones away from the trains - on most occasions.

In a bid to improve the lighting at Fairfield, two 10m columns each with a GEC turtle were erected (250W SON). On one occasion, the turtle on the Piccadilly side had been shot out (along with most of the fluorescents). By the following evening though, everything had been repaired, however on the 10m turtle, the SON had been changed for a 500W tungsten bulb! The fitter mustn't have had anything else that would fit. Great days!

Last edited by GreatNorburyStDepot on Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:53 pm 

mazeteam wrote:
It did the last time I tootled past on the Transpennine Express.

I too noticed this station lamp in 2008 whilst waiting for the Deltic 55022 "Royal Scots Grey" on RetroRailtours excursion to Edinburgh and back.

Interestingly, these lanterns were quite common on many stations in the Manchester area. They were never used on the platforms themselves, but could be found lurking on pathways within the station environs. There used to be a good selection at Hyde North on the Rosehill-Piccadilly line, the pedestrian walkway to Dinting station on the truncated remains of the Woodhead route and also a few on the Bury route stations. I think the Stalybridge example is probably all that is left hereabouts.

Attachments:
Deltic1.JPG
Deltic1.JPG [ 4.46 MiB | Viewed 31835 times ]
deltic2.JPG
deltic2.JPG [ 4.42 MiB | Viewed 31835 times ]