It is currently Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:28 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:01 pm 

Phosco152 wrote:
Ryde Esplanade station on the Isle of Wight still has (just) a solitary Eleco railway lantern on matching Eleco aluminium column - which still shows signs of red Network South East branding - applied almost 30 years ago.

Further to the above survivor, I can now report that the Eleco lantern and its column is still in-situ at Ryde Esplanade, however it is now minus its bowl and lamp.
Attachment:
P1040648a.JPG
P1040648a.JPG [ 133.5 KiB | Viewed 1361 times ]

Hopefully this survives in someone's collection, although it may have been lost to the sea.

Both the Pierhead and Esplanade platforms look pretty run down since my last visit, although proposals for some badly needed investment may soon come to fruition. At the Pierhead end, the Thorn Beta 79s remain in place on the timber awnings, although I'm not sure if they remain in use.
Attachment:
P1040597 (2).JPG
P1040597 (2).JPG [ 370.17 KiB | Viewed 1358 times ]

Aside from the lights, the ex LT 1938 tube stock continues to trundle back and forth between Shanklin and Ryde Pier head, however the elements and a dwindling source of spares are taking their toll on these classic vehicles, with the exterior now beginning to look careworn. That said, they continue to perform their high speed gymnastics on route, much to the amusement of young (and not so young) passengers!

I think these are great trains. Long may they continue to roll!
Attachment:
P1040641 (2).JPG
P1040641 (2).JPG [ 2.96 MiB | Viewed 1361 times ]

"As we moved along in a little procession, I was delighted with the illumination of the streets. So many lamps and they burned until morning, my father said, and so people did not need to carry lanterns."
Mary Antin - US author & activist. 1881-1949.

Profile  Personal album