It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:39 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:23 pm 

Hi All,

Whitehaven in Cumbria still has a few of these old gas columns with swan necks fitted with Beta 5s.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.55337 ... 312!8i6656

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.55338 ... 312!8i6656

Regards,

Andrew.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:44 am 

Many thanks for the replies and interest in our campaign. Claire - I stand corrected :) (to be fair the archive pictures I've found aren't very clear so it would need some expertise to identify the lanterns. I'll try posting some links later.)

We've been sent some costings for refurbishment of the two different types of column and retrofit of a new swan neck bracket (from AC Ford).

As expected a major cost is for SSE to disconnect and reconnect the supply cables. We're trying to calculate the exact NET cost of refurbishment vs installation of a new cheap steel column - I know that contractors generally install a new column alongside the old one and presumably SSE will come back later to remake the connection (in the case of one near us that's been nearly 6 months and it's still not lit!)

I imagine the council would still have to pay for disconnection and reconnection when a new column is installed - or is there a cunning cheaper way to do this? Either way the isolator would have to be replaced and the supply cable shortened as necessary, so I guess that cost is incurred regardless. Plus for refurbishment of a Revo column the cost of digging up the pavement is saved. Or am I missing something?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:05 pm 
Site Administration

SSE have a fixed charge for service transfer, regardless of whether its from old column to new, or old to feeder pillar. This includes cost of pavement digging up and reinstatement. Only the DNO is permitted to work on the supply cable and its termination.

I doubt the cost of refurbishment of an existing column (corrosion removal e.g media blasting probably couldn't be done in situ due to H&S issues) plus made to order swannecks and labour to do all the work, will be less than a new column.

There is then still the issue of siting - those immediately behind the kerb, and spacing - probably too large to meet the optical performance of LED light sources, to consider.

There are also future maintenance liabilities for non galvanised columns, as well as safety considerations for continued use of older columns. The South Coast PFI were required to test for hidden cracks on cast iron columns they retained to meet public liability insurance requirements.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:50 pm 

We've clarified costings with the council and they agree that the same charge would be made for disconnection and reconnection when a new column is installed. The cost estimates we've received include a test for soundness and visual inspection.

Apparently SSE's charge includes trenching up to 1m - the old columns that are at the kerbside would probably mostly fall outside this but I'd have thought that since the extra distance is marginal (just measured one near my house - it's 1.25m) and the supply cable doesn't need to be lengthened the council might have a bit of room for negotiation there.

I agree that we're very unlikely to get down to the cost of a new column, but we're hoping to persuade the council that the difference is worth it. I understand the DfT funding will pay for most of the cost of a new column or refurbishment so the actual marginal cost, particularly for the Revo columns, is pretty small. We just need to see how many of the Victorian columns we can persuade the council to find the money for. Wish us luck :)

Edit (slightly OT!) One for Claire perhaps - here's a picture from 1940 showing a converted gas column with reflector lantern http://collections.readingmuseum.org.uk/images/s1108180.jpg - I thought the top looked a bit narrow for a GEC lantern, so was wondering whether it was made by Revo, as Reading bought lots of equipment from Revo including swan neck brackets and Moseley columns.