It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:39 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: SOX lamps
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:11 pm 
Random avatar

Hi

It does the flickering when it's warmed up it has done it once before when it bright intense red. The gear is fine I've had the other bulbs on it and they have been ok other than that one that died in one of previous posts in this section. I had a new bulb I was testing on it since then for a hour or so and it was ok.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:44 pm 
Random avatar

Hi

After buying some new SOX bulbs the seller has tried to replace the faulty SOX bulb however I have got new one and I have moved most of my street light stuff including my 135W SOX gear to  different building on another premises about 35 mins away as I was trying to make more space. The question is would it be ok to quickly test the replacement 135W SOX bulb on a 150W SON gear from a SGS253?

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:03 am 
Site Administration

No, completely wrong current and voltage and since its 150W, it will overload the lamp.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:15 pm 
Random avatar

Fair enough, could I wire two 55W SOX ballasts in parallel and if so, how do I do a wire two ballast in parallel is it live in on ballast and the power out on first ballast goes to live in on second ballast and then power out from second ballast goes to ignitor then bulb and then neutral juts going to ignitor then bulb? I don't have any other choices really, cant really get to my friends house for a while don't want to buy more gear as iIhave spares already.

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:33 pm 
Site Administration

55W ballasts operate at the wrong current for 135W lamps (even in series or parallel). You need to use the correct gear.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:51 pm 

Hi All,

I have my Beta 8 lantern running tonight. What a lovely golden glow is being given out by the lantern. It reminds me of old times of days gone by, of family who have now sadly passed away. To think one day its golden glow will be no more is quite sad really :'-(

Regards,

Andrew.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:04 pm 
Random avatar

The Beta 8 and Alpha 9 have a very similar shape and design if comparing the shallow bowl Alpha 9 to the Beta 8 which is quite nice.

Shame SOX is on its way out, I've also got a Z9554 and Z9554M, and both GIH and remote geared MA50. I like the design of the Z9554M, its very simple.

I'm stocking up on bulbs for the future does anyone know a good place to buy cheap SOX lamps from? Either individually or in a box of 12. There are none on eBay currently, and I missed out on a rare box of 12 x Philips 135W SOX the other day, which was very annoying especially as it was cheap.

Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:27 am 
Random avatar

Hi. I've got myself a new 18w SOX-E lamp without a proper SOX ballast but a really cheap 18/20W fluorescent lamp ballast, then I googled search and some results pops up stating that it could use a 4uF capacitor. Well the lamp lit up just fine with just a fluorescent ballast, since these lamps is just so expensive nowadays, I am wondering running the lamp with or without the capacitor will effects the lamp life?

Or the cheap ballast will more likely go first and take out the lamp together :shock:

Voltage is 240V, the fluorescent choke is the very common 0.37A type and it gets pretty hot and I can smell the burn odour when testing it inside my house :lol: , anyway should I get the capacitor? Sorry if this question has been asked before.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:25 am 
Site Administration

Well something isn't right if you can smell a hot ballast.

The SOX lamp needs to be wired up exactly the same as a fluorescent lamp. The capacitor is only for power correction and is optional. It needs to be wired across the L/N of the supply and not in series with the ballast.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:28 am 
Random avatar

Thank you for the prompt reply :)

I wired it up exactly the same as fluorescent lamp, maybe just the paint on the ballast burning off, no capacitor at the moment but I'll go ahead and get the 4uF later.. the lamp takes around 15 to 20 minutes to reach full brightness..

I am not sure if this is a good comparison, I also have a coated 150W HPS and when I testing it, the ballast seems to remain warm and only become too hot to touch after 1 hour of operation, but this fluorescent ballast that I uses to drive the 18W SOX gets very hot just after 5 minutes.. does the normal 18w SOX ballast heat up that fast? Seems like nearly impossible to find a new 18W SOX ballast nowaday :lol: ..