It is currently Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:39 pm

All times are UTC






Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ] 


Author Message
 Post subject: SOX lamps
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:14 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:10 pm
Posts: 1528
Images: 12
Phosco152 wrote:
Argon is added to the neon to reduce the striking voltage. Neon on its own would have a too high strike voltage. The glass of the arc tube however tends to absorb Argon. Neon produces a red discharge, Argon a violet to pale lavender blue discharge, the proportion in a SOX lamp is so low that the red discharge is dominant.

Philips tubes tend to produce a redder discharge than Osram, probably due to having a greater fill of neon.


Interesting.

It seems that my 2 lanterns and the 135w one has reached the ''End Of Gas Life'' as quoted on the Lamptech site.

I've been messing with the 2 ''vivid neon red'' 90w SOX lamps in my GEC Z-9465 as it has a leak transformer in it.

The lamps will not light so I tried the old trick of getting transformers to send out a higher voltage by using the 220v input for a short time. It works and the windings in the transformer should be able to cope with the voltage for a short time. The lamp didn't mind and took 5-6 mins to warm up.

Now the tube has warmed up, I will put the 230v to the 240v input and see if it relights when warm. It doesn't, despite the electrodes being perfectly fine.


Top
 Profile  Personal album 
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:02 pm 
Offline
Site Administration
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:38 pm
Posts: 3302
Images: 27
Location: Salisbury
If you have 135W ignitor gear, try your lamp on that, ignitor gear produces a higher starting voltage than Leak gear.

Same for your 90w lamps, ignitor gear will restrike hot lamps. Often Leak gear won't and you will have to wait for the lamps to cool a bit.


Top
 Profile  Personal album 
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:22 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:10 pm
Posts: 1528
Images: 12
I did that first and it does light. The lamp also works on 90w SOX ignitor gear too but is hard on the ignitors as the lamp keeps flickering till it warms up.


Top
 Profile  Personal album 
 
 Post subject: SOX lamps
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:35 pm 
Offline
Member
Random avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:49 pm
Posts: 812
Images: 108
I've noticed something quite odd! There is a Gamma 6 (on Stanton concrete column) that I regularly pass when it is dark, and it always seems to be on pink! I have never seen anything like it around here because if anything dodgy happens with lamps, it tends to be one end pink, and one end orange... Or a black middle to the lamp.

It was always a late switcher, but the two part cell failed last year, meaning that it spent ages dayburning, then I assume the lamp blew as it was unlit for quite a while. It did get the two-part cell sorted, and it switches on OK, it just doesn't seem to warm up to anything more than pink! It's a bit bizarre considering it is a fairly new lamp [I think but am not certain]

I have read that SOX lamps are supposed to burn red when they are near the end of their life, but the lamps around here, like I said, don't seem to burn fully red, and seem to turn orange at least a little bit. Does anyone know what the problem could be?

It is located in a carpark area with an alleyway leading to it, and it looks very odd with the reflection from the water on the pavement. Another interesting point is that the Stanton column isn't set too deep into the ground, and you can see the curve at the bottom of the column above ground level. But of course this isn't anything to do with the lamp.

I'll try to get pictures on Tuesday.

_________________
"I used to rule the world... Now I sweep the streets I used to own."
Remembering GEC.


Top
 Profile  Personal album 
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:36 pm 
Offline
Site Administration
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:38 pm
Posts: 3302
Images: 27
Location: Salisbury
Stelmer wrote:
I did that first and it does light. The lamp also works on 90w SOX ignitor gear too but is hard on the ignitors as the lamp keeps flickering till it warms up.

If it is flickering it is at the end of life. The running voltage of all discharge lamps gradually increases as they age. Your lamp is at the point where the running voltage has now exceeded that of the ignitor trip voltage (under normal circumstances the trip voltage is greater than the running voltage which switches the ignitor off). It will soon flicker all the time. The scrap bin (break tube in bucket and then fill with water from a hose at arms length) beckons.  ;)


Top
 Profile  Personal album 
 
 Post subject: Re: SOX lamps
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:40 pm 
Offline
Site Administration
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:38 pm
Posts: 3302
Images: 27
Location: Salisbury
Indust wrote:
I've noticed something quite odd! There is a Gamma 6 (on Stanton concrete column) that I regularly pass when it is dark, and it always seems to be on pink! I have never seen anything like it around here because if anything dodgy happens with lamps, it tends to be one end pink, and one end orange... Or a black middle to the lamp.

It was always a late switcher, but the two part cell failed last year, meaning that it spent ages dayburning, then I assume the lamp blew as it was unlit for quite a while. It did get the two-part cell sorted, and it switches on OK, it just doesn't seem to warm up to anything more than pink! It's a bit bizarre considering it is a fairly new lamp [I think but am not certain]

I have read that SOX lamps are supposed to burn red when they are near the end of their life, but the lamps around here, like I said, don't seem to burn fully red, and seem to turn orange at least a little bit. Does anyone know what the problem could be?

It is located in a carpark area with an alleyway leading to it, and it looks very odd with the reflection from the water on the pavement. Another interesting point is that the Stanton column isn't set too deep into the ground, and you can see the curve at the bottom of the column above ground level. But of course this isn't anything to do with the lamp.

I'll try to get pictures on Tuesday.

If the lamp is old there may not be a strong enough neon discharge to produce the required heat to vapourise the sodium. Also if there is a vacuum leak in the outer envelope enough heat will escape with the same effect. I have a lamp like that, never gets yellow, unless I give it a kick start in the oven!  :D


Top
 Profile  Personal album 
 
 Post subject: Re: SOX lamps
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:54 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:54 pm
Posts: 2977
Images: 210
/\ - Is it a good idea to Microwave this?  :lol:

I have round my way have seen a couple of Gamma 6's burning red although these have been repaired.

Another one was a GR150 in Lockwood, Kirklees serverly burning red as it has been like that for the past 6 months, it has just been replaced by a WTRL MRL6 and I'm not keen on these lanterns as they are way too common in Kirklees also they are post topped :x . It would have been cheaper to keep the GR150 and changed the lamp.

_________________
From streetlighting to radio, dance through the night whilst the streetlights are glowing outside.


Top
 Profile  Personal album 
 
 Post subject: Re: SOX lamps
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:11 pm 
Offline
Member
Random avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:49 pm
Posts: 812
Images: 108
Urbis Saturn Land wrote:
Another one was a GR150 in Lockwood, Kirklees serverly burning red as it has been like that for the past 6 months, it has just been replaced by a WTRL MRL6 and I'm not keen on these lanterns as they are way too common in Kirklees also they are post topped :x . It would have been cheaper to keep the GR150 and changed the lamp.


I'd rather the GR150 was retained, but be thankful that a MRL6 (GEC Z8600) replaced it, compared to the Iridiums or Sapphires we get! Although ours don't get post-topped.

_________________
"I used to rule the world... Now I sweep the streets I used to own."
Remembering GEC.


Top
 Profile  Personal album 
 
 Post subject: Re: SOX lamps
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:51 am 
Offline
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:48 am
Posts: 6227
Images: 1729
I was mentioning a Z8600 to Des when at the depot, as a few of them are on columns due to be taken down - the response I got was "ugh, horrible things!" :lol:

Thinking about Gamma 6's - up the road from where I used to live was a gamma 6 35w SOX on a patch of green in front of three bungalows (along with another g6 and a SOX Z5670), it always glowed with a "flare effect" whereby the top gowed red and the bottom was yellow.

_________________
Tesco brings all the mums to the yard...
and they're like "do you have your club card"
Image


Top
 Profile  Personal album 
 
 Post subject: Re: SOX lamps
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:04 am 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:27 pm
Posts: 1730
Images: 200
mazeteam wrote:
it always glowed with a "flare effect" whereby the top gowed red and the bottom was yellow.


I suspect that would have been caused by a combination of sodium depletion and sodium migration to the u-bend.


Top
 Profile  Personal album 
 

Display posts from previous:  Sort by  


Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ] 

All times are UTC



You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest



Search for: