It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:37 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:57 pm 
Random avatar

If the individual node does not have an up to date switching profile then it will switch out of sync. This can happen if comms to the node are poor and it isn't receiving regular updates from the branch/collector.
Day burning is commonly due to damaged node or incorrect data entry on the trunk. This could be the wrong node ID, assigned to the wrong branch or maybe not even inputted on the system at all! Let's just say the good old photocell never had this problem...  :D

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 3:18 pm 
Site Administration

As previously documented elsewhere on Ukastle on by David (and with some excellent photographs), the Telensa RF node system is being fitted in Essex.

Wiltshire are also using the system. Both examples retain existing lanterns.

The Telensa website states Telensa delivers world’s largest wireless street light control system to Essex County Council with "125k nodes now fitted - more than Los Angeles."

For comparison, the Surrey PFI website lists 89k streetlights, and in Hampshire - part of the south coast PFI, the website quotes the county as having "150K streetlights, illuminated signs and bollards" - presumably at the start of the PFI.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 9:03 pm 
Random avatar

David wrote:
Rojojnr wrote:
On my usual travels on Geograph I found out about this fantastic survivor in a pay-and-display car park in Loughton in Epping Forest District. This type of installation is still reasonably common around Epping Forest and can be found in short bracket form like this and with long brackets. Answers on a postcard as to the make and model of the lantern please!

I think that is a shallow-bowled version of the ELECO HW745.

For comparison, here is an ELECO HW745 photographed in Bowers Gifford near Basildon, Essex in September 2011...

...and this appears to be the same lantern canopy but with a shallow bowl, photographed on the edge of Hainault (which is still within the boundary of Epping Forest District) in March 2014. This variant of the lantern may of course have a different code.

As you say, there are plenty of these shallow-bowled lanterns on unsleeved concrete columns in the Epping Forest district of Essex, like this one and the ones behind it in High Road, Woodford Bridge. Photograph taken in March 2014.

A close-up of the shallow-bowled ELECO. In line with the rest of Essex, all County Council lanterns in the Epping Forest district have been re-celled for part-night lighting. Photograph taken in March 2014.

Alongside this shallow-bowled version of the ELECO HW745, there are of course other variants , including the top entry version and the version with the W-shaped bowl, but I have no idea if these have different codes. I'm sure somebody on UKASTLE will know  :)
How strange!  I thought SOX lanterns weren't controllable by RF systems? - Being that they need a special ballast that isn't made for SOX, only SON etc.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 4:11 am 

It'll just be on/off times, possibly some means of monitoring if the lamp is working, but nothing more.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 6:47 am 
Site Administration

The Telensa system used in Essex and Wiltshire is used for part night operation and remote monitoring of the lanterns.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 9:52 am 

Radio frequency systems are most functional when connected up to a compatible dimmable electronic ballast. That way switch on, switch off, dimming and monitoring can be done from a central location. If using radio frequency with ballasts such as electromagnetic SOX ballasts, the only functionality would be to switch on or switch off the lighting from a central location. I'm not sure if remote monitoring would even be possible, aside from seeing if a node has failed or not. It would have to be a system which measured the flow of current through the node, as opposed to a system where the ballast sends or doesn't send a digital signal to the node.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:15 am 
Random avatar

I am not sure how this transfers across the country but the recent couple of weeks of hot weather in the Northwest seems to have cooked a a significant number of CMS/RF controlled electronic ballasts as retrofitted to Bolton Council's Stock.

This has left a significant number of random day-burners around the borough, Black lanterns seem more affected!

Looking at the maintenance logs, it seems that the repair is to renew the TX.

I hope the got a good guarantee!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:10 am 
Random avatar

They use RF switching in Cornwall and it's not always reliable with fairly frequent day-burners and sometimes they are switched on too early or too late.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:29 am 

I was chatting to my pal recently who is in his 60s. Naturally being of that age, he can still remember some fairly  notable developments in municipal streetlighting, including the rundown of gas lamps and their replacement by tungsten lighting, the first MA-Vs and SO/Hs to be installed and the introduction of SON.
Anyway, I digress.  I was telling him about the current lighting in my area, which whilst not going with a PFI, have embraced RF control for a good proportion of their stock, especially on main roads. The interesting question that was then raised was: "If the council through their network of GPS nodes etc are able to identify a lantern that has failed or similar and can even operate it remotely, would this mean they could theoretically operate (and locate) such a lantern, if it were wired up to a "non public supply" ie a 13A plugtop in your bedroom!" I hope you are getting the gist of what I'm asking - I'm sure we've all come across the odd  toppled lantern in our early years of collecting! What range do the master units have, if they can switch up to 200 lanterns. Not wishing to condone the salvage of knocked down municipal property (I imagine its pretty impossible these days anyway, with all the CCTV around), but I thought I'd mention it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:03 am 

Radio frequency nodes on lanterns have to be mapped to the system to work. I'm not quite sure if it is always as simple as plug-and-play, but certainly the Harvard LeafNut system sees new lanterns dayburning whilst individual nodes connect themselves to the nearest master node. I think the Mayflower system may involve some kind of barcode scanning of the nodes at the time of installation and "pairing" on the computer system to the local master node, but don't hold me to that.

If a node were taken out of area or deleted from the database, I really couldn't say whether it would still work or whether it would still appear on the computer system. But one thing is for certain, take it out of range of a master node and it won't function. It will either stay on or stay off. Master nodes only have a range of a couple of miles normally. Telensa, who offer the best range and greatest number of nodes to base stations, say their base stations have a range of 1 to 3 miles (urban) and 3 to 6 miles (rural). Harvard LeafNut has a much smaller range of 1km in urban environments.

Profile  Personal album