It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:50 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:52 pm 
Random avatar

In my local area some relatively old MRL6s have been fitted with RF nodes which has surprised me. Earlier on in the RF conversion scheme all MRL6s were being swapped for new Vectras, apart from a couple of examples which were used as the 'pigeon' lanterns (rather than being replaced with Vectras, strangely).

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:05 am 

Well when York first trialled the RF Switching, using a QSM as the control lantern (I have the QSM now!), there were a few GEC Z8600's along the road and those got radio nodes fitted!

A recent change I've noticed for York's existing RF installation is in Coppergate... A while back the lanterns along there were changed for QSS's with radio nodes, to switch with the existing installation along Museum Street, Lendal, Coney Street and Spurriergate (and the side streets going off those roads) - but one on a Revo Monarch column at the junction of Piccadilly and Coppergate kept dayburning. It'd get fixed and then a few days later be dayburning again. Now it's got a pigeon node fitted. Whether this is the main control instead of it being fitted to a QSS at the corner of Coney Street and St Helen's Square, or it is a whole new node I don't yet know. If it is a new node it may mean the system may get expanded further.

In Bradford the ring road does have a few RF switched lanterns - can't remember the area name though.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:00 pm 
Random avatar

Is it me or is RF switching rubbish. The nodes seem to die all the time and leave odd lanterns here and there dayburning. Just use a nema with a good old photo cell they last for years.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:45 pm 

Well councils could combine both RF and NEMA. That way if the RF dies the NEMA kicks in as back up until the lamp fails which then the RF can then be replaced.

It could be done but it would be complex.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:32 am 

That can only be done if dimming isn't being used, and even then it'd be a very tricky setup... because the RF node doesn't connect to the supply, it goes to a comms port on the ballast. Putting a nema cell on the supply would reset the ballast on every switch-on, thus affecting RF communications.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:58 am 
Site Administration

Dayburning caused by RF nodes is usually down to one of the following:

* Node not initialised - usually occurs on installation until the node is added to the "network". Often nodes are only added in "batches" resulting a large amounts of lanterns initially day burning.

* Loss of communication due to poor signal - In practice far more master nodes have been required than the manufacturers initially thought - applies to all systems.

* Failure of the node itself - this failure mechanism is probably the least common failure mode.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:13 am 

Something that bugs me about what is happening in the South Coast PFI is the time of switch on and switch off. Many new installations in Southampton and Hampshire were receiving 55LUX and 35LUX photocells in the last couple of years before the PFI, and when new lanterns are installed as part of the PFI and initially fitted with photocells these are also 35LUX. In my opinion, 35LUX switching is just right.

One of the quoted method statements for saving energy in the PFI was by "trimming", whereby lanterns switch on later and switch off earlier. Sadly, it seems that the radio frequency system for the South Coast PFI is set to a high LUX level. Put it this way, there are 1980s GEC Z9454s with two part thermal photocells that switch on later and switch off earlier. I would definitely say they are set above 70LUX. Nowadays there is no need for 100LUX switching, and 70LUX switching is a bit too high for lower wattages of SOX. Really there shouldn't be any switching above 55LUX, and a lot of lanterns could do with switching at 35LUX, which is more in line with what our European neighbours have been switching at for as long as I can remember.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:28 am 
Random avatar

On the ones around here the dayburning lanterns had to have new nodes put in so the nodes must of failed in some way. :?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:01 am 
Random avatar

Durham has moved to radio switching this year although this has meant re-gearing lots of lanterns mainly ZX3s and Sapphires. The nema cells are left on but are redundant and the canopy is re-drilled to accomodate the node. Durham is one of the Countys in the North East facing the biggest cut backs yet they've decided to install practically a whole new street lighting system. Some lanterns on the system have day burned for months, and they have even got Albanys on the RF network,  wouldnt fancy fitting new ballasts in those, they look awkward lanterns at the best of times.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:38 pm 

The Albanies aren't actually too bad in that respect - as the gear tray is located on metal drop rods with nuts on the end. All connections are at the bottom near the bowl, so you undo the wires and the nuts and the whole gear tray slides out.
I'm suprised the photocells are being left in though, because at least for the Vizion system (but maybe others) you get a plastic cap which fits over the Nema socket and seals it, but has a small hole for the node to fit into (also the same size hole as for a minicell). Round here the council haven't cut back on street lighting budget, but are instead reverting back to using "poor mans road surface" - loose chippings. If anything, the streetlight scene is about to have quite a hefty chunk of cash injected into it.

Profile  Personal album