It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:58 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:56 am 

A column in York at the junction of Coppergate and Piccadilly has been replaced, after having a white cross on the old Revo Monarch for just over a year... I happened to notice the new column with the QSS from the old column having been fitted to the new one, and the QSS has a master node fitted to it for the Vizion system

In the photo below, if you follow the line of the column up and beyond the lantern you will notice a red glow close by the 'shine' mark that is pointing roughly to 2-o-clock - the actual master mode was glowing red. I don't know if they do this normally or not as I have never noticed this on either of the QSSs which have these nodes installed (this one when on the previous column, or the one in Coney Street near St Helens Square)
Attachment:
DSC_8465.jpg
DSC_8465.jpg [ 504.92 KiB | Viewed 8803 times ]

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:55 am 
Random avatar

Warwickshire is heading the same way if the mass RF nema replacement scheme we have on atm!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:29 am 

I checked the column I pictures above when I came out from work tonight and it wasn't glowing red this time.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:29 pm 
Random avatar

Coventry is using the "Telensa" system, as confirmed by a knock down column.
Needless to say, I now have one in my collection!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:40 am 

I'm suprised they let you have the node...

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:47 am 
Random avatar

Just got there as a Hiab with one bloke was there to do the "clean up" i.e pick up the smashed lanterns and the column, so guess it was right time right place kind of scenario.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:32 am 
Site Administration

Sotonsteve and I observed last night that a street on the south coast PFI using RF switching (and located very close to a master node), switched all the lanterns on one side of the street before the other.  :shock:

I believe individual nodes can be switched if required - usually for test purposes didn't realise that the level of control could be as fine as that.

We hadn't spotted this before so don't know if it is a new development or not. On a "main road" using this approach would at least spread the switch on surge of a large numbers of lanterns all starting at once.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:07 am 
Random avatar

I meant to say this ages ago but, following on from Chris' comments on the Vizion collector LED, there is the same setup in the Leafnut branch node. Both systems are very similar, with the Zodion system using Harvard electronics under licence.
There are in fact 3 LEDs inside; red, green and blue. These all light up when power is applied and then drop off as the unit initialises. They relate to various functions such as getting the GSM connection. Quite why Chris saw a red one still on must have related to a fault I presume.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:23 pm 

In Surrey there are a couple of Harvard LeafNut controlled lanterns which are lighting up at the wrong times in contrast to others in the street. At 5.15am when it is still dark, they are not lit, but at 7pm when it is still light they are lit. Clearly there is some sort of communication problem or other fault making them switch on and off at the wrong times.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:36 am 
Random avatar

sotonsteve wrote:
In Surrey there are a couple of Harvard LeafNut controlled lanterns which are lighting up at the wrong times in contrast to others in the street. At 5.15am when it is still dark, they are not lit, but at 7pm when it is still light they are lit. Clearly there is some sort of communication problem or other fault making them switch on and off at the wrong times.

I think Bolton Council use this system, or possibly the Lucy Zodion System.

There are upto about 18month old now, and there seems quite a number that are starting to have issues.

There are a couple of lamps, including a couple of collector fitted lamps that on occasion dont light, but light the next night, the odd few light up very much delayed hours after the rest and others that dayburn at 100%.

The solution seems to be replacing the transformer. The majority of the affected lamps are the MRL6s retrofitted with CMS, however at least a couple of QSS lanterns have had new transfomers.

The council have advised they do plan to retrofit their 50w stock, however in recent months have been fitting LED to their 6m 50w stock.