It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:51 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:53 am 
Random avatar

Yes and Havard even offer an attachment that fits in place of a nema cell, but I expect these are more costly. I've watched them do it, they bring the lantern to ground level, install a new gear tray and lamp then drill a hole in the canopy, push the node through then seal with silicone. I thought they might of re-geared the A-2000s & some of the newer A8s but no it's seems to be only Urbis lanterns.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:39 am 

I've just found on Streetview their view of York's first area that used RF switching... and look what lantern has the Master Node:
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ll= ... ,,1,-17.98

However, during the first trial, it was just one column in Library Square that was radio controlled... the QSM on the right had the Master Node fitted
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ll= ... ,,1,-11.02
The QSM is now in my collection, the nema hole having a plastic blanker fitted with a reduced hole in the middle for the master node to fit through. The column shaft and that lovely double bracket are long gone, having been rusty and so got removed. The base lives on, having been moved to the right of the exit as part of the Library Square revamp, with a new column having been inserted into the base, a new casting put in place to join the old base with the narrower column shaft, and a QSS on top (mounted post top)

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:22 pm 

Mayflower Intelligent Management Systems (MIMS) website

So the lanterns installed as part of the South Coast PFI are not fitted with NEMA sockets, but are instead fitted with special S6000 NEMA sockets, which are 6-pin sockets compatible with existing NEMA photocells but with the extra three pins for communication with the smart electronic ballasts.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:59 pm 
Site Administration

Well no wonder the South Coast PFI RF switching is so unreliable. The sub master which controls the nodes, has a range of 200m. However "on the ground" they are installed at distances at least 5 times that. No wonder switching of the individual nodes is so unreliable with large numbers of day burners.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:08 pm 

200 metres, that can't be right surely? Given that SSE own both SEC and MIMS, I expect Mayflower are having huge involvement in the South Coast PFI, as it is their flagship project. It wouldn't surprise me if somebody from Mayflower were permanently based on the PFI project. 200 metre range is translating to more like a mile radius in reality.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:15 pm 
Site Administration

Well that is what the data sheet says for both the nodes and sub masters and agreed it doesn't seem very far. 200m radius so that's a zone 400m in diameter, which is 4 zones per mile. No where near that in practice certainly in Gosport and Lee on Solent where I have mapped most of the sub masters.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:21 pm 

Phosco152 wrote:
Well that is what the data sheet says for both the nodes and sub masters and agreed it doesn't seem very far. 200m radius so that's a zone 400m in diameter, which is 4 zones per mile. No where near that in practice certainly in Gosport and Lee on Solent where I have mapped most of the sub masters.

In the banner at the top of the home page there is a quick flash of a computer screen which shows a few differently coloured zones in Gosport Borough. There appears to be a red, orange and yellow zone in Lee-on-Solent.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:38 pm 
Site Administration

Well to achieve that, they will need several sub masters per zone - which the system should allow. I suspect the full zones aren't actually implemented yet as the sub masters are a bit thin on the ground.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:43 pm 

Phosco152 wrote:

Well to achieve that, they will need several sub masters per zone - which the system should allow. I suspect the full zones aren't actually implemented yet as the sub masters are a bit thin on the ground.

Whilst there have been a couple of issues with dayburning it's not too much of a problem, and even though there are still very few sub-masters about this doesn't seem to be causing an issue as great as might be expected if the supposed range is as small as stated.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:31 pm 
Random avatar

Here are a few photos of the nodes used in Aber. For some reason, only some have nodes and others have been fitted with new part-night cells. Also, many of the lanterns don't switch on or off together either. The lanterns that use two part cells have currently been left to run all night for the moment, but I have suspicions these will get replaced eventually. All these are near where I live this year.

This one's been turned around 90 degrees.

They also get fitted to new lanterns, as well as retrofitted to old ones.

Profile  Personal album