It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:42 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:18 am 
Random avatar

Harris87 wrote:
It's a strange one isn't it? Cost is a definite possibility, another theory is perhaps they felt MH was more important on the stretch they've used it on due to it being between two junctions, one with a pedestrian crossing point? Maybe they felt this stretch is the busiest with people and cars? Guess we'll never know for sure  :lol:

Could be that although that whole stretch between Norcross and Morrisons now has pavements and cycle lanes down both sides which is why I thought all the lighting would be MH. It will come down to costs and prioritising as you say.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:03 pm 
Site Administration

sotonsteve wrote:
It is possible that the new Iridiums on the A27 in West Sussex use a new type of lamp:

Philips CDM-T Elite MW

These new lamps are being marketed as an extension to the range of CDM-T and CosmoPolis lamps, bringing higher efficiency white light to higher wattage applications. The MW suffix stands for medium wattage, as the lamps come in two wattages, 210w and 315w.

They have a PGZ18 lampholder, which is like a large version of the PGZ12 lampholder used for CosmoPolis lamps.

I was unsure of the lamp type used in the A27 Iridiums, as I mentioned a few posts ago. The lamps seemed too small to be CDO-TT lamps, but the lampholder appeared to be porcelain rather than the metal of CosmoPolis lamps, and the light output seemed too bright to be 140w Cosmo anyway, but the lampholder didn't look right for a CDM-T lamp with a push in G12 lampholder.

Well a trip along there today on the way back from a work trip and a handy layby produced this:

So yes they do look like the new Elite MW MH lamps.

It looks like the porcelain base of the lamp fits inside that metal collar which must be the lampholder.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:23 pm 
Random avatar

I think I've come to the conclusion the mini Iridium and the SGS252 Iridiums, used in residential areas in the Dorset PFI, both run different sort of lamps.

The SGS252 Iridium is generally reserved for rural areas installed on 5m columns, these don't give off a really bright glow like the mini Iridium - much dimmer, just right for the countryside.

While the mini Iridium is used in urban areas installed on 6m columns.

Until today I had thought both lanterns were running the same sort of lamps, after a visit to a village post office this evening, I had a quick peek at the new SGS252 Iridiums which had been switched on this week.

I was surprised my eyes did not get damaged from looking into the lit lamp, because the light output was not that bright. I could tell the shape of the lamp when it was lit which it was tubular shaped and it looked opaque instead of clear which could be the reason for the lamp not appearing "glarry".

With the mini Iridium, I daren't look into the lamp - I wouldn't want to end up using a white stick to get around. From at a glance I think you could tell the lamp is obivously not opaque coated due to the sheer brightness!

The strange thing is I am not sure if the lamps, running in the Dorset SGS252 Iridiums, are even Cosmopolis because the glow from the lamp looked pretty similar to mercury but with a whiter tint. Perhaps this is an unknown new sort of lamp, anyone know about this? Any ideas?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:40 am 
Random avatar

I'm not 100% sure but I think the MiniIridium, due to it's size, can only take Cosmopolis lamps. The SGS252s could simply be running lower-wattage CDM or CDO-TT lamps.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:25 am 

I'm pretty sure both the small and mini Iridiums in Dorset use CosmoPolis lamps. MiniIridiums are more glarry due to the awful reflector they use, much like the CosmoArcs used in Southampton and Hampshire.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:52 pm 
Site Administration

More from the ILP:

Quartz metal halide lamps (QMH) were the first generation of MH lamps (ceramic metal halide such as CDM, CDO-TT, Cosmo are a different family) and as such suffered from colour shifts and low efficiencies. They also can't be dimmed unlike ceramic MH.

Many QMH lamps used Na/Sc (sodium scandium) technology which suffered badly from lumen depreciation after around 2000 hours. If manufacturers cannot improve the efficiency and reduce lumen depreciation, these lamps in ratings 50-400W could soon be banned under the EU directive which is phasing out less efficient lamps.

Ceramic metal halide however is a different story.

Philips stated CDM dates from 1994, CDM Elite from 2005 and Cosmopolis from early 2000s. It is interesting to note it takes a few years from the lamps first being available before luminaries using these lamps becomes popular. CDM Elite being a case in point with it only seemingly began to be used in 2010 in the Iridium.

Philips stated that Cosmopolis allows a 15% greater column spacing than SON due to the "white light" factor. Early Cosmopolis lamps had a 3 year life but they are now all 4 year life. From late 2011 they will have a 6 year life.

CDO-TT (retrofit for SON) has had its arc tube redesigned from the flat ended cylinder to a rounded end cylinder. This will increase life and efficiency.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:00 pm 

6 year life for Cosmo... won't that be outliving SON lamps then? (I'm thinking along the 45-60w Cosmo lamps designed for residential fittings comparing with 50-100w SON lamps)

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:21 am 
Site Administration

See elsewhere in this section with regards to lifetimes of SON lamps.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:09 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

Following a site visit to the London Olympics at Stratford, I managed to find out what the approved lamp type is for new installations. They specify 40, 60 or 140 W CPO-TW lamps. The approved electronic control gear is Philips LumiStep.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:01 pm 
Random avatar

Alex wrote:
Following a site visit to the London Olympics at Stratford, I managed to find out what the approved lamp type is for new installations. They specify 40, 60 or 140 W CPO-TW lamps. The approved electronic control gear is Philips LumiStep.

That's good! Glad to hear they're not using SON  :)