It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:05 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: 35W SON lamp
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:08 pm 
Site Administration

Hmm, a slight "misconnection" on a 60 year old ballast which had lost its markings and hence there was an element of chance. Fortunately discharge lamps are tolerant to overload for short periods.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:45 pm 
Site Administration

Looks like a 35W SOX ignitor ballast will be OK with a 35W SON lamp if a SON ignitor is used.

35W SOX is 70v 0.6A, Colin Grimes reckons our (Chris M has one as well) 35W SON lamps are 85v, 0.53A as they are European rather than American lamps which are 52v, 0.76A.

I also have a 40w MBU lamp which Colin says is 90v, 0.53A so he says I can use the same 35W SOX ignitor ballast for that as well.

When I get them running I will have to measure the actual operating parameters.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:13 pm 

I've got a spare 35/50/70w SON ignitor if you want it.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:09 pm 
Site Administration

Thanks for the offer, but I have plenty of suitable ignitors, I must get round to trying the 35w SON lamp out sometime.  :roll:

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:37 am 
Site Administration

The following information came from Philips at the ILP meeting yesterday.

* Standard SON lamps (as opposed to "plus" types) will be phased out under the EU lamp efficiency directive. However these lamps will still legally be available for use outside the EU. Since manufacture of these lamps will also be banned from within the EU, Philips plans to move production of these lamps to China to meet demand from that country and the rest of the world.

* A SON lamp can only be dimmed once it has reached full power and is stable, dimming before this point will cause the arc to become unstable which will eventually destroy the lamp.

* On a Philips Master PIA SON lamp - PIA stands for Philips Integrated Antenna. I do vaguely remember this from a while back. The antenna is a wire that is sintered into the arc tube ceramic and runs the length of the arc tube and around both of its end. It aids starting by creating a E field to promote the start of the discharge. Philips patented this 14 years ago, and by reducing the starting voltage - especially at end of life - it allowed them to offer a lamp with a lifetime of 4 years.

* the PIA has now been improved - Advanced or APIA. As lamps age, starting voltage increases which eventually prevents the ignitor providing a high enough striking voltage. Improvements in technology in the end seal of the arc tube now allow direct connection of the sintered antenna wire to one of the electrodes. This creates a bigger E field which assists in lowering the starting voltage and hence prolonging lamp life. APIA now means that a 6 year life is possible.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:49 am 

Ooooo that's very interesting. Thank you for posting it.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:13 am 

So standard SON lamps will be banned under the same EU directive that will kill off mercury... at last there is an upside :D

And with Master SON PIA lamps only getting "up to 6 years" life now, this is only making it of equal lifespan (from the end of this year) to the Cosmo lamp that generates a perceivably brighter light output at less input power.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:52 am 
Random avatar

Bump.

Do SON-E internal igniter lamps run off mercury ballasts off the same wattage? I thought this was the idea behind SON-E internal igniter lamps, to plug and play into existing mercury lanterns.

If they do, it would save costs for a project I have lined up.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:59 pm 
Site Administration

Nope, voltage and current are different. However 70W SON/85W MBF are close enough...

In the early days of SON, there was no such thing as an external electronic ignitor. The lamps were started with an internal glow starter very similar to that of a fluorescent tube.

It wasn't until cheaper power electronics became available in the 80s that external ignitors became available, which also allowed hot re-strike of lamps.

SON E lamps were made first, so that they could  utilise the optics of existing lanterns that were designed for MBF (same lamp shape), therefore allowing an increase in lumens and a decrease in power consumption without changing the lantern (but a new ballast was needed).

The SON-T lamps came about as technology improved - both in the lamp itself (to raise the Lm/W rating a tubular outer envelope is essential) and also the design of SON-T specific lanterns.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:55 pm 
Random avatar

Ah right, thank you, that's cleared that right up. I think the misconception came from seeing someone refer to them as "plug in SON-E bulbs", and I obviously interpreted this directly as "plug into the mercury lantern and go". I didn't realise they needed re gearing.