It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:50 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: The future of SON
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:02 am 

The plasma lamp looks tiny... possibly a little larger than a Cosmo lamp but much smaller than SON lamps. The company quotes an efficiency of 90 lumens per watt consumed from the grid (including through control gear)... off the top of my head I don't know how this compares to SON, but I am guessing it is better - but I also expect the system and lamps cost quite a lot.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:11 am 
Site Administration

An efficiency of that level is worse than SON.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:49 am 

So on the European wide energy saving list it'd probably be off the scale for HEP then.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:39 pm 
Random avatar

I still install SON on a regular basis. I personally think that SON throws the light further than MH. I know that some of the standard SON lamps are going to be banned by the EU (who I hate) and as far as I know SON  is no exception! I did go through a small phase of installing MH flood lights but the lumens seem to drop off quickly and I just don't think they are anywhere near as bright. I hope there is a future for SON.
As for Induction and its apparent 100 000 Hr life span.... I had a job to look at about 25 165W QL lamps in a well known appliance shop. I thought there was a phase down but it turned out to be all of the drivers!
I would rather have SON in small villages. There is no need for white light. Maybe city centers for CCTV.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:27 pm 

I would rather only see SON used where you are unlikely to have the public walking around - so warehouses, industrial yards, ports, and maybe motorways seeing as SOX seems to have fallen out of favour (but we don't need the obscenely high power ratings that the HA currently install on motorways for SON).
The original Metal Halide was based on Quartz, and I believe you can still get these (XIT, I think) and there was a notable drop off in lumen output and even colour shift, but good quality Ceramic Metal Halide lamps (especially Philips ones) are crisp and clean... and whilst technically they give off less lumens, it is perceived as brighter because of the wider spectrum in colours. The problem with SON is there's too much colour given off in the red, orange, and yellow end of the spectrun, and these colours at night have the effect in humans of inducing dopomine to be released into the bloodstream, making you feel more tired... if you're driving some distance at night the last thing you wants is lights making you feel tired.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:56 pm 

I just had a recollection, remember when the CosmoPolis lamp was launched in 2005? There were plans for two variants, CosmoWhite (CPO-TW) and CosmoGold (CPO-TG). CosmoWhite was a development of the ceramic metal halide lamp, and CosmoGold was a development of the SON lamp. The CosmoGold lamp never entered commercial production. The initial wattages that would have been offered were 65W and 140W, much like the original CosmoWhite wattages offered were 60W and 140W, with 45W and 90W coming later. I guess it was a question of why you would buy a CosmoGold system over a SON system, as you're paying modern white light technology prices for golden light. Why not just buy SON-T Pia Plus lamps and electronic gear? And that is what would have killed the idea.

SON is going to be around for a long time yet. It could be argued that it is the most popular street lighting lamp type in the world, and in the majority of countries it is still the most popular lamp of choice. But much like what happened to SOX, we aren't likely to see any more investment in developing the lamp technology, as ultimately if people want better they will spend more on a newer technology like LED, and current SON efficacy is good enough for what it is.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:29 pm 
Random avatar

mazeteam wrote:
The problem with SON is there's too much colour given off in the red, orange, and yellow end of the spectrun, and these colours at night have the effect in humans of inducing dopomine to be released into the bloodstream, making you feel more tired... if you're driving some distance at night the last thing you wants is lights making you feel tired.

On the flip side of that the newer white lighting is said to disrupt sleep patterns of local wildlife, so it's worth noting the possible detrimental effect it can have if it's widely adopted.

Personally, I don't care much for the possible demise of SON. I don't particularly like it. It's not as efficient as SOX and the quality of light isn't that much better. In an ideal world I'd like to see warm white LED lighting used in towns, cities and minor A and B roads and SOX used for the big roads and motorways. It's simple, it puts the good quality light sources where they're needed and appreciated, and puts the most efficient kind of light where it's needed. If someone is that much on the borderline that the yellow light of SOX is sending them to sleep, they shouldn't be at the wheel anyway!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:31 pm 

I posted some recent statistics for the UK to a FaceBook group but to summarise: SOX is gradually reducing, SON is remaining constant, and white light sources are increasing in use.

I think this topic should be changed to "The Future Of  HID." I believe that LED will gradually improve (in terms of effacacy) and the luminaires will improve (we're now seeing a move away from the "conventional" HID lantern plus the industry is starting to think about the optics more) .

So in five-ten years? LED will be battling with SON and I suspect it will start to win. Fifteen years? LED will be dominant and all other HID light sources will be in stark decline. Twenty years? Majority of street lighting will be LED.

All the best,
Simon

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:30 pm 
Random avatar

Simon Cornwell wrote:
I posted some recent statistics for the UK to a FaceBook group but to summarise: SOX is gradually reducing, SON is remaining constant, and white light sources are increasing in use.

I think this topic should be changed to "The Future Of  HID." I believe that LED will gradually improve (in terms of effacacy) and the luminaires will improve (we're now seeing a move away from the "conventional" HID lantern plus the industry is starting to think about the optics more) .

So in five-ten years? LED will be battling with SON and I suspect it will start to win. Fifteen years? LED will be dominant and all other HID light sources will be in stark decline. Twenty years? Majority of street lighting will be LED.

All the best,
Simon

I would say 90% at least of street lighting in Cornwall is Cosmopolis, Except for the odd SOX or SON that has been "overlooked" The PFI which started in 2009 is the reason why I believe.

So in my area SON is virtually extinct.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:10 pm 

sevenman96 wrote:
I would say 90% at least of street lighting in Cornwall is Cosmopolis, Except for the odd SOX or SON that has been "overlooked" The PFI which started in 2009 is the reason why I believe.

So in my area SON is virtually extinct.

Cornwall does not have a street lighting PFI, they spent money on lantern replacements and upgrades themselves through an "invest to save" approach.

Profile  Personal album