It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:27 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Induction lamps
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:27 pm 

Phosco152 wrote:
Elsewhere in Bedfordshire, columns that did have MA50s on them now also sport new induction lanterns, and close up.

Funnily enough I've also seen one or two induction lanterns in Dunstable, but the ones I saw were only mounted at 8 metres.

Sadly I have no day photos, as the lantern didn't look out of place until night time fell, but I did manage to grab a couple of (hand-held, believe it or not) night photos of one of the lanterns:

A close-up of an induction lantern in St Mary's Gate, Dunstable. Photograph taken in December 2012.

Notably, the induction lamp in this lantern is shorter than the one photographed by Phosco152, perhaps to take account of the lower mounting height.

The induction lantern in context with a SON lantern on the B489 West Street in the background. Photograph taken in December 2012.

Noting how rare examples of induction street lighting are, I purchased one on Ebay a while back to add to the collection, and for quite a lot less than Ebay's current crop of induction street lanterns.

This unbadged lantern has the prosaic appearance of a modern SON lantern, and may even be a retrofit. These photographs were taken in June 2014.

The enclosed 80W induction lamp itself takes on the appearance of a beefy circular fluorescent tube. The lantern is internally geared with the electronic ballast hidden inside the canopy.

The lamp does kick out a good, strong white light, perhaps about 50% brighter than the equivalent 80W high pressure mercury lamp.

The shape of induction lamps however, makes it difficult to optically control their light output. When coupled with their average luminous efficiency, this may explain the lack of popularity of induction street lanterns on Britain's roads compared to other available white light sources.

Last edited by David on Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:15 pm 
Site Administration

As ever cracking pics David.

Your night time shot shows there must be another variant in use to the lantern I pictured. Whilst the finned sections look similar, the bowl aperture isn't quite the same shape.

The light also appears to be of a cooler colour temperature than your own example. Also I hadn't seen circular lamps like that before - they always seemed to be of the square type.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:48 pm 
Formerly Paspie

David wrote:
Pardon the thread bump but having looked on GSV and studied some of the induction lanterns available, I think the one in the pic may be the one featured here, the RD09 from Indo Lighting.

Last edited by Paianni on Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:18 pm 
Formerly Paspie

The GSV link for David's lantern is here.