It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:27 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Induction lamps
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:44 pm 
Random avatar

I saw these posts that interested me in the "The future of SON thread."

Scott15 wrote:
Going abit off topic here but what are the wattages on induction like? If they are similar to that of LED and with there long life they could well pose a threat to SON.

Phosco152 wrote:
Induction lamps are very much a minor niche market. They have been around for more than 25 years - I remember them being demonstrated on Tomorrow's World back in the 80s. They have never caught on due to their cost and relatively low lumen output which isn't suitable generally for streetlighting purposes. They do offer superior lifetime over CFL but the high cost doesn't outweigh the lifetime advantage.

If you want long life time (in theory..) white light nowadays you choose LED. Induction is no threat to SON, LED will make induction obsolete.

Scott15 wrote:
Okay thanks for that, I've never in person seen induction used. I have seen the price of the lamps though and even if they do have superior life the bulb price and efficiency would put anyone off.

Quite interestingly, despite the reasons Phosco152 has given, Ceredigion are replacing pretty much everything with lanterns running induction lamps. They crop up both retrofitted and on new columns and between heights of 5 and 10 metres. Most commonly seen fitted with nodes and part-night cells as well. They are mainly replacing old SOX and newer SON lanterns.

I've looked on the Urbis and WRTL websites but it doesn't state these lanterns come with this lamp type, so I'm wondering if anyone knows anything else about wattages per mounting height, please share as I am quite interested to know. Particularly as I can put the wattages to my photos.  :)

Here are some installations in Aberystwyth running induction lamps:

My photos do only showing Arcs running them, but we do have many Sapphires and a few Iridiums running them too.

Profile  Personal album 

Post subject: Re: Induction lamps
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:30 pm 

Induction lighting is roughly as efficient as CFL, so 55W will be good for 5m or 6m columns, 85W will be good for 8m columns, and 165W would be good for 10m columns.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:33 pm 
Random avatar

The difference between wattages for 8-10m is quite surprising!

Does anyone know if there are any other councils installing induction lamps/lanterns? So their main advantage is their lamp life but surely there have to be some more reasons in addition to that? I'm confused as to why they are cropping up over Ceredigion at an alarming rate!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:46 pm 
Random avatar

165w on a 10m column is quite poor efficiency these days! Ceredigion are actually better off installing SON on main roads.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:27 am 

I do recall seeing one in Holmfirth installed in a WRTL Arc on a steel column. The said lantern also replaced a Libra on a sleeved Stanton column.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:21 pm 
Random avatar

I take it that induction lamps give off a similar light to MH?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:51 am 
Random avatar

Gramma6 wrote:

Similar, though I consider MH lamps to be slightly more blue and induction lamps to be more white!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:43 am 
Random avatar

I'm surprised that induction lighting hasn't seen much useage, it's a completely different technology that has some very attractive advantages. Granted it needs a little more refinement such as the energy consumption but you could say the same for LEDs (lumens/watt I mean) which are seeing a wider acceptance for public lighting. I've seen a newer filling station close by that uses the rectangular-tubed versions that you usually see in the States, it has a very nice output and colour temperature.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:10 pm 
Random avatar

Indust wrote:
Gramma6 wrote:

Similar, though I consider MH lamps to be slightly more blue and induction lamps to be more white!

More like CFL than MH then I suppose, although warm-white MH has more of a yellowy tinge to it than blue to my eyes. I even saw some MH lanterns in Bryn, near Wigan, that had a strong purple tinge to them.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:56 am 
Random avatar

I remember seeing some induction lamps at Ffostrasol and Synod Inn on the way to New Quay for new years, looked very similar to CFL until you get closer and can see the golf-ball shaped lamp.

Mike.