It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:21 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:32 am 

The aim of this thread is about MBF lamps and where to go and stock up before the suggested September deadline (I say September, so that if there are any faults with the lamps they can be sent back and exchanged for new before the end of the year). The thread can also be used as a reference point as to where to go to purchase them.

For those members in Yorkshire could possibly try Spencer & Sons Electrical Spares who are based in Selby, their address is 21 New Street, Selby, North Yorkshire, YO8 4PT. Their phone number is 01757 705 345

They are the only electrical firm that I know of in Yorkshire who do stock, what would be regarded as industrial lamps. If anyone else knows what other electrical suppliers that stock them across the country - post them here.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:57 pm 
Random avatar

I bought around 24 new 80W MBFU 3 pin lamps a while ago for £2 each and I have a few used ones, but how many should we have before we can say we have stocked up?
3 pin 125W ones seem to be harder to find, I only have 2 new ones.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:17 am 

I only have three or four decent 3 pin 125w ones myself. But all in if you count the ones I class as 'dim' then I have over a hundred MBF lamps. There are still a few mercury lanterns around York, so that number of lamps may go up but not by much. I may also see if I can pop a word in where it counts to see if I can buy any boxes of 'unrequired' MBF lamps once all the mercury lanterns have come down.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:25 pm 

mazeteam wrote:
I may also see if I can pop a word in where it counts to see if I can buy any boxes of 'unrequired' MBF lamps once all the mercury lanterns have come down.

But sadly they will likely say to you, WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:44 pm 

Alpha mike wrote:
I bought around 24 new 80W MBFU 3 pin lamps a while ago for £2 each and I have a few used ones, but how many should we have before we can say we have stocked up?

I would say aim for at least 50 MBF lamps would be reasonable so that you have enough spare to last you a couple of decades. I have about 7 MBF lamps that but sadly two don't work. So I'll be aiming to get a fair amount too. Just had a thought too, MBF ballasts and capacitors could also be stocked up too but I would say aim for about 10 - 15 of them.

Mazeteam wrote:
I may also see if I can pop a word in where it counts to see if I can buy any boxes of 'unrequired' MBF lamps once all the mercury lanterns have come down.

If you get the green light for a box or two (or even three) Chris, then I'll happily have a box too.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:06 pm 
Random avatar

I think Claire may be right, they may not let you have them as they have to dispose of them in the right way. It is very sad to see these lamps go as so many vintage lanterns ran MBF lamps, I for one will not be running the lamps too offen so they will last longer.

With remote geared lanterns, you could use other lamps that give off white light, the problem will be with gear in head lanterns like my 125W Simplex Diadem Major. I don't want to go replacing the gear to run another lamp type as I think it would ruin the lantern.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:22 pm 

Alpha mike wrote:
I think Claire may be right, they may not let you have them as they have to dispose of them in the right way. It is very sad to see these lamps go as so many vintage lanterns ran MBF lamps, I for one will not be running the lamps too offen so they will last longer.

With remote geared lanterns, you could use other lamps that give off white light, the problem will be with gear in head lanterns like my 125W Simplex Diadem Major. I don't want to go replacing the gear to run another lamp type as I think it would ruin the lantern.

I was once allowed to have a few old new stock Philips MBF lamps from a stillage container that had been earmarked for disposal. I only managed acquired them because the streetlighting supervisor guy knew me, but even so he said that I could unofficially have a hand full, as they were earmarked for disposal through a certified waste disposal company. It was heartbreaking because most were unused MBF stock from the early-mid '70s. :-(

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:54 am 

This is the thing I'm wondering... as there are lanterns locally still running MBF, I may be able to get my foot in the door early (figuratively speaking) so they get earmarked to me instead of disposed, and come to me once the remaining lanterns have come down. Thing is the lamps may instead be used until exhaustion, as there are several bulkheads and amenity lights (on blocks of shared housing) that still run MBF so the lamps may be used for them until the boxes are empty...

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:43 pm 

mazeteam wrote:
This is the thing I'm wondering... as there are lanterns locally still running MBF, I may be able to get my foot in the door early (figuratively speaking) so they get earmarked to me instead of disposed, and come to me once the remaining lanterns have come down. Thing is the lamps may instead be used until exhaustion, as there are several bulkheads and amenity lights (on blocks of shared housing) that still run MBF so the lamps may be used for them until the boxes are empty...

Any privately owned or parish owned mercury lighting maintained by the contractor/authority maywell see stocks exhausted, at which time those remaining lights will have to be repalced or converted to another light source. Even so, it's definately worth asking now.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:47 am 

Yes that's what I was thinking. As there is a village where the lighting is owned by a housing trust but maintained by the contractor (and a whole lot of the lanterns got replaced with Jets until the ownership issue was realised!), so now there's 9 Eleco post tops on timers that are staying there for the time being, which is a bit annoying as three are tall bowl examples and of the others there's only 1 not in good condition)... But I suppose if they have no lamps then the lanterns could be removed and saved sooner!

Profile  Personal album