It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:49 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:43 pm 
Random avatar

Just bought 4 Philips 125W HPL-N lamps, i bought them for my Philips SGS 203s as thats what Philips state to use on the label.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:43 pm 

In reality, unless you have MBF lamps in nightly use, it's unlikely any of us will use many; we're more likely to drop them rather than wear them out.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:18 pm 

The Eleco Welwyn mk3 that I have is almost in nightly use since my younger brother uses it to repair his mopeds, since it has been mentioned we're more likely to drop them than wear them out. This is where my suggestion comes in to get as many as required so that if we did accidently drop one we'll have a fair few spare.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:26 pm 
Random avatar

Yeah they are more likely to get broken then anything, I will be bubble wrapping them and storing them inside the lanterns bowls where possible. (As will be the case for the SGS203s there is space for spare lamps inside the bowl)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:29 pm 

So long as there's no room for things to rattle about, and no hard edges for the lamp to strike against then storing in multiple should be OK. I am using Thorn Jet boxes, of which 33 lamps fit into each box (I have two full boxes and the third is waiting for about 6 more lamps to complete it) - and they are put out of the way in a location not readily accessed for anything and everything so they are unlikely to get knocked. It's a case of being sensible as to where you put them... my SLI lamp is on top of a cupboard in its box, so the only way that will get knocked is if a bird flies in! Whilst my lanterns are in storage, when I get my own place there will be at least one lantern in nightly service, but more likely three or four.

And yes, Philips SGS203s do have versions that take mercury lamps (HGS203)... the village of Knapton has one on the corner of the main road and Bland Lane (wood pole mounted).

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:48 pm 

I've enough 80W MBF lamps for what I need and I have a few 125W and 400W lamps as well. I don't run lanterns much so they will last a while.  What I do need though is around a dozen 35W SOX lamps as i've not enough for these but this will be posted in the appropiate thread.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:39 pm 
Site Administration

Scott15 wrote:
Can you even get 700W Ballasts any more?

Well probably not but a 400W and a 250W MBF ballast wired in parallel should be close enough.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:49 am 
Random avatar

Is there a particular "go to" place to get new lamps that you guys use? So far I've used BLT direct for lamps, ballasts and caps, but buying all this stuff new obviously comes at a premium. Is there a better way to obtain new lamps?

I too would like to stock up, particularly on SOX and mercs, as who knows what will happen with the EU planning to ban mercury et al.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:15 pm 
Site Administration

MBF but ES rather than 3BC caps come up on Ebay now and again, the boxes of 20/25 are better value - these are often surplus new old stock.

SOX lamps are risky other than 35/55W as the larger sizes are very fragile due to the length of the arc tube and get broken in transit. Again complete boxes of lamps come up now and again.

Lampco stock lots of old/obsolete lamps but not necessarily any cheaper than can be found elsewhere.

Many of us used to get lamps from depot recycling bins in the past - a route now that is practically closed off.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:18 pm 
Random avatar

no longer required

Last edited by trencheel303 on Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.