It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:54 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:39 pm 

It is possible that the new Iridiums on the A27 in West Sussex use a new type of lamp:

Philips CDM-T Elite MW

These new lamps are being marketed as an extension to the range of CDM-T and CosmoPolis lamps, bringing higher efficiency white light to higher wattage applications. The MW suffix stands for medium wattage, as the lamps come in two wattages, 210w and 315w. They are said to be for both indoor and outdoor use, and my attention to their existence was raised by looking at the Urbis Evolo PDF. The warm white 210w lamp produces 24200 lumens and the 315w lamp produces 37800 lumens. The lamps themselves are similar to CosmoPolis lamps, but slightly larger, although much smaller than CDO-TT/SON-T lamps. They have a PGZ18 lampholder, which is like a large version of the PGZ12 lampholder used for CosmoPolis lamps. The control gear for the lamps is electronic like CosmoPolis is required to be. These lamps are approximately as efficient as standard Philips 250w and 400w SON-T lamps, although due to their slightly reduced wattages produce fewer lumens of light. Of course, they may produce slightly fewer lumens of light, but the light is white rather than orange, so they are unlikely to appear dimmer and would probably seem brighter.

I was unsure of the lamp type used in the A27 Iridiums, as I mentioned a few posts ago. The lamps seemed too small to be CDO-TT lamps, but the lampholder appeared to be porcelain rather than the metal of CosmoPolis lamps, and the light output seemed too bright to be 140w Cosmo anyway, but the lampholder didn't look right for a CDM-T lamp with a push in G12 lampholder. These new CDM-T Elite MW lamps seem to fit the description, and if Urbis offers them in the Evolo then Philips is likely to offer them in the Iridium. I am guessing the ones on the A27 are 210w lamps, as when I saw them at night I likened them to 250w metal halide.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:24 pm 

Interesting... so they finally have good efficient MH lamps for the higher wattage applications - so now there's no excuse for SON anywhere - even on motorways! :lol:

I don't suppose there's any other website with a picture and description of the lamp... because the Phillips website is probably the crappiest website I know of for such a large company! Firefox states the page has loaded, but all I have is the header with the menu links on, and the footer - and that's it. I think the site is trying to use Java and XML applets to build the pages, but they are slow and simply don't work!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:05 pm 
Site Administration

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:58 pm 

Cheers.
I wonder how long it'll take before they'll start to catch on with local councils?

I can't remember exactly when the Cosmo lamp was launched (a year or two ago...), but it is now starting to filter through so that places not under a PFI are starting to install cosmo lanterns - so maybe it'll be a couple of years before we see the CDM MW lamps becoming popular.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:08 am 

CosmoPolis was launched in 2005. According to Urbis Switch On, the first Cosmo Sapphires in Lowestoft were installed in November 2005. Southampton got its first CosmoPolis in early 2007.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:59 am 

older than I thought... so it's taken about 4-5 years for Cosmo to go mainstream.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:23 pm 
Random avatar

I wonder if these lamps would be able to be fitted to Philips Trafficvisions? We have some fairly new Trafficvisions on the A585 (a HA-maintained trunk road) which replaced some 250w SON Phosco P678s recently. The light levels are obviously of an equivalent high wattage and are really good, I'd go as far as to say it's the best-lit trunk road I've ever been on! I was amazed to see MH being used on a major trunk road as this is a first for me so I wonder if it these Philips CDM-T Elite MW lamps being used?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:59 am 
Random avatar

Gramma6 wrote:
I wonder if these lamps would be able to be fitted to Philips Trafficvisions? We have some fairly new Trafficvisions on the A585 (a HA-maintained trunk road) which replaced some 250w SON Phosco P678s recently. The light levels are obviously of an equivalent high wattage and are really good, I'd go as far as to say it's the best-lit trunk road I've ever been on! I was amazed to see MH being used on a major trunk road as this is a first for me so I wonder if it these Philips CDM-T Elite MW lamps being used?

Those MH Trafficvisions are great, love the columns they're on as well, very smart indeed  :)  The strange thing is those slightly newer ones past Anchorsholme Lane towards the Norcross roundabout are all SON  :?  Also they've left a handful of the old hockeysticks towards the roundabout, oh well I'm sure there'll be some reason or other!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:51 pm 
Random avatar

Harris87 wrote:
Those MH Trafficvisions are great, love the columns they're on as well, very smart indeed  :)  The strange thing is those slightly newer ones past Anchorsholme Lane towards the Norcross roundabout are all SON  :?  Also they've left a handful of the old hockeysticks towards the roundabout, oh well I'm sure there'll be some reason or other!

Yeah, I was extremely disappointed to find those newer examples further south ran SON, what a wasted opportunity and inexplicable too unless they ran out of money and SON lamps are cheaper?  :?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:23 pm 
Random avatar

Gramma6 wrote:
Yeah, I was extremely disappointed to find those newer examples further south ran SON, what a wasted opportunity and inexplicable too unless they ran out of money and SON lamps are cheaper?  :?

It's a strange one isn't it? Cost is a definite possibility, another theory is perhaps they felt MH was more important on the stretch they've used it on due to it being between two junctions, one with a pedestrian crossing point? Maybe they felt this stretch is the busiest with people and cars? Guess we'll never know for sure  :lol: