It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:21 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:33 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

An unusual LED lantern manufactured by an Italian company called iGuzzini illuminazione: http://inhabitat.com/archilede-led-street-lamp-cuts-energy-costs-by-40/

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:22 am 

iGuzzini are one of the leaders in architectural lighting, and UK clients include household names such as Morrisons, ASDA, M&S etc... Generally their most popular products are indoor spotlight affairs (in the examples of shops you might see their products in use to illuminate the fruit and veg sections, or as those little spotlights you get on the undersides of escalators)... their venture into streetlighting is likely to be relatively new.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:20 am 

Although aimed at the domestic market, Philips have introduced the "hue" range of LED lamps... which incorporates a Wi-Fi hub and a smartphone app to, among other things, change the colour and intensity of the lighting remotely using the app.
http://www.meethue.com/en-US/getstarted#howitworks

That starter pack costs $200 for three lamps and a hub... but then again it IS being sold on the Apple store, so in real terms if it was available from a decent retailler it'd likely be half that price.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:33 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

Lorraine Calcott has written an article for lightinginsight.com about the rise of LED street lighting.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:18 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

There's been a fair amount of 'tweets' related to LED schemes across the USA that the @UKASTLE account has been retweeting. This recent link certainly shows how different some of their LED lanterns can look!

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 3:31 pm 
Founder
Random avatar

This 7 min clip from the BBC's Daily Politics Show argues against LED lighting (Tweeted by UKASTLE)

Thoughts?

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 12:05 pm 
Random avatar

An interesting article and something that's been on my mind since the start of Sheffield's PFI.

Standard HID lighting has developed over so many years with advancements in reflector and optic technology. Because of the rapid advancements in the LEDs themselves, it's almost like manufacturers have forgotten about the optical adjustments necessary to provide an comfortable output.

The LED lanterns around here certainly produce a lot of glare. I suppose that's to be expected when you take a high power LED and point it straight at the road with no surrounding structure to it as you would get with a HID lantern. I've yet to see any in person but I'd imagine that CU Phosco and Holophane's LED road lanterns would address this as they combine the efficiency and longevity of the LEDs with the traditional lantern design.

Also, I completely agree with the arguments mentioned about the colour temperature. Although warmer LEDs are available, they tend not to be used as frequently. The blue feels very cold and clinical.

Personally, I think if a council wanted to embark on a replacement scheme, then switching to CPO-TW with dimmable control gear and dropping the wattage a level (Say, 150w HPS @ 10m to 90w CPO @ 10m) would both make savings and provide a comfortable output.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 3:50 pm 
Site Administration

I would disagree with your statement "Because of the rapid advancements in the LEDs themselves, it's almost like manufacturers have forgotten about the optical adjustments necessary to provide an comfortable output."

Whilst there are some poor designs around, others like the Stela for instance have a precise optical lens over each LED so that the (LEDs) collectively form the beam.

Whilst the intensity of a single LED is bright, it pales into comparison compared with the arc tube of a SON or MH tube.

What may be the issue, is that whilst for the latter, the optics (tend) to shield that point source light from the arc tube, for a LED lantern, the very different optical design means the LEDs are very visible. So whilst the individual LED intensity is actually less compared to a HID lamp, the lit area is larger and not shielded and therefore perceived to be bright(er).

It is interesting to note the body language of the "campaigner" - not engaging and almost evasive -  and it would have added more substance to his argument if he could actually provide the authors/names of the organisations of the "studies" he mentioned.

Search long enough, and you will probably find a counterclaim to any fact, however as a scientist/engineer I was taught to seek hard evidence to support my conclusions and expose those conclusions to scientific peer review by others. He could/should have done that in putting his case forward.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 3:21 am 

I have seen some LED lanterns (as I recall one such design is in Blackpool) whereby the LEDs themselves shine onto reflectors on the underside of the canopy within the lantern body. This seems to have an effect to reduce glare.

Profile  Personal album 

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 6:30 pm 
Random avatar

mazeteam wrote:
I have seen some LED lanterns (as I recall one such design is in Blackpool) whereby the LEDs themselves shine onto reflectors on the underside of the canopy within the lantern body. This seems to have an effect to reduce glare.

An indirect LED lantern is in a way a good idea.